What Kind Of Bone Is This?

worthy 55

This bone fragmemt was one we found on our last trip to the Santa Fe River. B)B)B):)

:unsure::unsure:

post-23-1271522158155_thumb.jpg

post-23-12715221708015_thumb.jpg

post-23-12715221863475_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Here is another bone fragment that I would like to know what it's from also if anyone can . B)B)B):)

post-23-12715245746536_thumb.jpg

post-23-12715245883106_thumb.jpg

post-23-12715246119726_thumb.jpg

post-23-12715246331144_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Here is another bone fragment that I would like to know what it's from also if anyone can . :)

This appears to be the distal portion of metacarpal II of a peccary.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

This bone fragmemt was one we found on our last trip to the Santa Fe River. :)

I don't think I've ever found one of these, William, and I'm not sure what it is. Having said that, do a search for "chevron bone" (giant ground sloth) to see what you find.

What seest thou else

Whoa! As much as I dislike that spot.. maybe we should return.. hmmmm

~Mike

All your fossils are belong to us

This appears to be the distal portion of metacarpal II of a peccary.

Thanks Harry, That first bone fragment I remember seeing it some where but I'll check out chevron bones. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

Whoa! As much as I dislike that spot.. maybe we should return.. hmmmm

~Mike

I agree at least a few more times. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

That place is really a SCUBA channel. It is so far from either bank that even with 100' of hose, it is a battle.. deep and currents and log jams. I think the next PRIORITY is to rig a ramp to attach to the stern.. then we can dive directly from the boat and NOT have issues with getting back in.

Other than that, I have no issues.. just a great spot but NOT hookah accessible from shore..

~Mike

Just grow some gills!

post-423-12715389186108_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'll work on those Auspex! Think of the savings on snarge like air, VIP and Hydros.. GREAT IDEA!! Send me a link on how to get started!!

~Mike

I don't think I've ever found one of these, William, and I'm not sure what it is. Having said that, do a search for "chevron bone" (giant ground sloth) to see what you find.

Harry, where would be a good place to do a search for that? I searched Bing and Google with no luck. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

Harry, where would be a good place to do a search for that? I searched Bing and Google with no luck. B)B)B):)

I got a number of hits on an ASK.com search. Chevron bones are also known as "hemal arch

small, v-shaped bones attached to the caudal ends of the ventral surface of several caudal (coccygeal) vertebrae where they protect several coccygeal vessels; they are small in dogs, absent in horses and cattle, large in kangaroos and whales."

You may have to search for species-specific info . . . start with sloth skeleton.

Then again, it may not be a chevron bone. The museum people can tell you. Send an image to Hulbert.

What seest thou else

I got a number of hits on an ASK.com search. Chevron bones are also known as "hemal arch

small, v-shaped bones attached to the caudal ends of the ventral surface of several caudal (coccygeal) vertebrae where they protect several coccygeal vessels; they are small in dogs, absent in horses and cattle, large in kangaroos and whales."

You may have to search for species-specific info . . . start with sloth skeleton.

Then again, it may not be a chevron bone. The museum people can tell you. Send an image to Hulbert.

Thanks, Harry I'll check that out. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

Harry and Worthy, I have an absolutely perfect sloth chevron. I try and find it tomorrow and post a pic. It is much larger but I think they get smaller as they get closer to the end.

I found the bone but, it's not perfect and neither is my memory. Found in Peace 4 or 5 years ago. Looks like 2 proceeses of some sort are broke off on bottom side near i.d. number. hope this helps you with i.d.

post-2641-12716913407145_thumb.jpg

I sent some pictures to Dr. Hulbert at the Florida Museum and he said it is a portion of a neck vertebra from a tortoise.? B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

Okaayyyy.. did he provide an illustration or photo?

~Mike

Okaayyyy.. did he provide an illustration or photo?

~Mike

Why NO! and I can't find any pictures of tortoise neck verts that look like that either. Oh, he also said he was sending my tooth back. :rolleyes::unsure::unsure:

It's my bone!!!

I found the bone but, it's not perfect and neither is my memory. Found in Peace 4 or 5 years ago. Looks like 2 proceeses of some sort are broke off on bottom side near i.d. number. hope this helps you with i.d.

hoffy thanks, I don't think that there is enough of this bone to get a good ID on . I just thought someone may have had an idea of what it was. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

I sent some pictures to Dr. Hulbert at the Florida Museum and he said it is a portion of a neck vertebra from a tortoise.? cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifsmile.gif

You can't argue with the MAN!

Archived