SE Texas skull fragment? What could it be from?

johnnyvaldez7.jv

This heavy, solid as a rock fragment is what I believe to be a skull fragment.  I'm thinking Columbian mammoth? Maybe a juvenile? I have found juvenile pieces in the same area. I found this yesterday, Thursday, on a rock bank...can't even say gravel because there are sooo many rocks on the ground in this one particular area. And this appeared no different than most of what's out there when I saw it. I just so happened to look at this piece a little more carefully than anything else. Everything is covered in mud or dry dirt and green algae and many of these foramen holes were filled in by sand and small rocks. So when I picked it up I still couldn't see bone so I brought with me to clean it up a little later on and to my surprise this is what is was. But there has to be so many more possibilities for more like this in this section I found. I'm guessing it's the lower back end of the skull? I think I had a much smaller one where occipital condyle was mentioned? I didn't know how to orient this to take pics...so I just tried to get as much as I could.  Also there is some cool blue colors on it in some areas the pictures may not show. I'm definitely going back tomorrow to really check this area out. But I appreciate any thoughts and if maybe bison or others might be possibilities as well.  Oh, and found here in Southeast Texas...low river levels are exposing quite a bit. 

20220916_222737.jpg

20220916_222850.jpg

20220916_222941.jpg

20220916_223019.jpg

20220916_223034.jpg

20220916_223150.jpg

20220916_223238.jpg

20220916_223253.jpg

20220916_223305.jpg

20220916_223846.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Your last picture looks like the place the skull would connect to the atlas vertebra. Size wise it looks like a large mammal, but I'm not sure of species.  It doesn't look large enough to say it's mammoth or mastodon by size alone.  You will probably need to compare features.

You may try comparing it to the mastodon skull here.

https://umorf.ummp.lsa.umich.edu/wp/wp-content/3d/viewerMob.html?name=B_CRA_20&extension=obj

• Enjoyed 1

Yeah I wasn't sure it would be mammoth or mastodon based on the size other than a juvenile but the foramen (foramina?) are quite large and if in the 1st picture where I'm holding the bone in my hand...if that part is the thickness of the skull it's quite thick....but I have no idea really. It's fossilized...solid as a rock. I think I have others like horse that were much smaller...so bison would have been my other guess. Wouldn't even know what else to consider. 

20220916_223150.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

• johnnyvaldez7.jv changed the title to SE Texas skull fragment? What could it be from?

Dr. Hulbert replied to my ID request today:

I don’t think I am going to do much better than you on this one, other than confirming it is a fragment from the back portion of a large mammal skull, most likely either proboscidean or ground sloth. If forced to choose between these options, I would favor the latter, but it is not certain.

Richard Hulbert

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an Eremotherium skull chunk that could perhaps make a comparison to this? I've seen images of the outer skull but I can fit this to it in any way. I guess whatever this chunk is...is more of the internal skull so I'm not sure what I'm looking at or how to orient this and internal skull fragments are hard to find.  Yeah it might just be a scrap or a chunkosarus and that's cool...but i'm still happy with it as I am with everything I find...I'd just be happier getting closer to whether it's sloth or proboscidean.  I really couldn't get a mammoth/mastodon comparison either.

Thanks for any thoughts. 

Edited by johnnyvaldez7.jv

Thanks Mahnmut 20221010_083219.thumb.jpg.b77932cde562e5b3d1b4f3c0e8e5b8d8.jpgfor those links! I was comparing this left occipital condyle section of the Eremotherium laurillardi 3d image and I think it matches up with what I have. I know most of what I have is internal structure but it appears to be correct.

Screenshot_20221010-083319_Gallery.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like a good fit!

The problem with the big animals is, they do not fit into a CT scanner, so with whales, Mammoths, Ground sloths etc. you only get photogrammetric scans that  do not show internal structure.

Cool find!

Edited by Mahnmut
spelling
  • Thank You 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Yeah it is pretty cool. Thanks for your help.

Edited by johnnyvaldez7.jv

• 5 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone might have a Mastodon or Eremotherium occipital condyle for reference? The 3D images online are a little tough to compare to...just wanted to see if anyone might have something a little clearer in hand. 

• 1 month later...

Hi JohnnyValdez

there are two parts to my answer:

First, I learned about two years ago that according to newer analyses it is manganese and not iron (vivianite is an iron phosphate) that is the main source of color in blueish fossil bones and teeth.

https://www.mindat.org/article.php/179/On+"Odontolite"+or+"Bone+Turquoise"

On the other hand, there are fossils described with crystals of vivianite in their cavities, like the bivalves from Kertch and even a mammoth braincase I read about, so maybe in some cases there are traces of vivianite colouring the bone. With phosphate the main substance of bone and iron in the blood, and iron not a rare metal in the environment, it sounds plausible to me.

There is at least one case described where a human skeleton was turned green by copper. ("Malachite man")

Secondly, at least on my screen  your fossil does not look very blue, just slightly blueish grey in spots.

So I would say your fossil may contain traces of vivianite or whatever it is that turns fossils blue.

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thank you for the attached article...it's very interesting.  Yeah there was a just a few spots I was questioning that appeared to have a light blue color to it. It's definitely not like the tusk and canine that were part of the "show me your blue fossil" thread that is here on TFF. Those and the others featured are incredible! Thanks for your response and giving me a new route to look at when examining my finds.