Pliosaur tooth?

Per Christian

I don't quite know what's going on with the tip there, as it has much stronger striations than are visible on the rest of the tooth. I suspect it may be a different tooth-tip that's been attached to complete the tooth, since it also appears to be slightly wider than the rest of the tooth? The striae on the rest of the tooth, in any case, are more akin to what you'd expect to see in elasmosaurids...

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I also asked about this tooth, and I was sent more photos of it...…I am not sure what is going on, but it might be a composite so I would avoid it

No description available.No description available.No description available.No description available.

Edited by msantix
  • I found this Informative 2

Definitely a composite. On the top-right/second photograph, you can clearly make out three parts: the top with strong striations is pliosaurid, the mid-section with wavy wrinkles is elasmosaurid, and below that, without wrinkles and in a slightly different colour tone, you can make out the latter tooth's root.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Here too links are broken ! :zzzzscratchchin:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Here too links are broken ! :zzzzscratchchin:

Coco

It's probably because these images came from Instagram (maybe Facebook, hard to tell), and you might not have access to that account... Here are the copies:

1162147720_GoulmimaPlesiosaurusfrankensteinitooth01.thumb.jpg.2e7c56bfbd3de950a49b63ace5e49dbc.jpg1299884324_GoulmimaPlesiosaurusfrankensteinitooth02.thumb.jpg.722e50ece0fd760a488fba0d985cc26c.jpg372919182_GoulmimaPlesiosaurusfrankensteinitooth03.thumb.jpg.8c7e2720679c7254e855f2270b86f0d7.jpg1275900393_GoulmimaPlesiosaurusfrankensteinitooth04.thumb.jpg.d7d3f2fdf228e837096eb90652571d18.jpg

Thank you Alexander. That’s why we recommend uploading the photos directly to TFF! So that EVERYONE has access to them.

Coco

• I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg