Is this T-Rex Tooth restored?

jikohr

Hi everyone!

I recently acquired a very large (3.5+ inches) digested Rex from McCone County, Montana. The seller said no repair or restoration and I just wanted to make sure. I shined a UV light on it and there is one area that I'm interested in. Along the mesial Carinae is a very dull green under the UV. I tried to capture it with my phone but all I got was blue light since my Camera isn't equipped for that. Typically when I see restoration it's a very bright and vibrant green under UV so I'm not sure if this dull green area is restoration, if it's just an area that was stabilized, or if that's just there sometimes.

Here are the pics I took, although my question is primarily "what does very dull green under UV light mean?"

Any insight is appreciated!

IMG_2967.thumb.JPG.6172274297118346fdf3555613186935.JPGIMG_2969.thumb.JPG.6f21cc84dfa3d4fa04872129746bd57d.JPGIMG_2968.thumb.JPG.af1c5335c724dd72deb7e230bd4e2c20.JPGIMG_2970.thumb.JPG.ff23e3529bbb3f9c896f94f91a65eba7.JPGIMG_2971.thumb.JPG.2f1e80edde9fa7d01386f3ee9ef665c7.JPG

To my eyes, its not jumping out as having restoration.  If it was, it paint blended to the rest really well, and that much should REALLY stand out under a UV light.  I think you may just be seeing some artifact from heavy consolidation.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

Boy it sure looks restored.  You can see a color and texture change bit past half-way down the tooth and no carina.    

Really? I looked at that area with the UV light and didn't see anything. Will restoration not show under a UV light? Could the tooth being digested change the texture? here's some more pics.

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

Your new photos re a bit better.

Could just be a very poorly preserved tooth where the enamel and some of the dentin is worn.  UV should show paint. You can try acetone to see if that effects anything.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Your new photos re a bit better.

Could just be a very poorly preserved tooth where the enamel and some of the dentin is worn.  UV should show paint. You can try acetone to see if that effects anything.

poorly preserved is how it was advertised to me so I'm fine with that. You can just never be to careful with these things you know.

I'm not to experienced using acetone how do I use it in this case? Just want to make sure I do it right and don't mess it up (more than it already is).

If the tooth is natural pretty hard to mess it up. Just wipe the sides with a wet cotton swab and see if anything changes.  If its coated with a substance it will remove it

On 9/18/2022 at 2:46 AM, jikohr said:

digested Rex

How had a T. rex for supper:headscratch:??

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

7 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

How had a T. rex for supper:headscratch:??

Franz Bernhard

Broke off and swallowed it while eating is my assumption.

• Thank You 1

*Frank*

13 minutes ago, FB003 said:

Broke off and swallowed it while eating is my assumption.

:DOH:

Thank you! That makes sense :dinothumb:!

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

Well I applied acetone and some stuff came off so confirmed funny business. Contacted the seller, got a large partial refund so I'm happy.

You can never be to careful with these things.

• I Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Thats too bad but not a surprise.   At least you know ...

Eh, I got like half off and the other one I got is bigger, nicer, and legit so I'm happy. Thanks for the acetone tip!

3 hours ago, jikohr said:

Well I applied acetone and some stuff came off

Photos?  :popcorn:

• I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ