Dimetrodon Claw?

Rikache

Hi there everyone!

I came across a listing for a “dimetrodon claw” and would really appreciate it if y’all could give it a look and tell me what y’all think. The majority of my knowledge and collection mostly consists of specimens from the Hell Creek formation so I’m not too knowledgeable when it comes to permian age fossils, though I’d love to expand my horizons and learn about everything I can.

The specimen is said to be a dimetrodon claw from the Ryan Formation, Waurika Oklahoma. I’ve gone ahead and contacted the seller for any more information about the specimen so I’ll keep y’all updated.

Thank you all so much!

6E2D2F77-0B6E-48ED-81EC-D292504FAEC7.jpeg

28CE1CD6-659F-4D16-9EA4-60F11738F978.jpeg

98797E5B-0D7C-4CFF-B3D4-74F9DDA3AFEF.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

• Thank You 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Looks similar to other Permian synapsid ungual fragments I've come across. To label it "Dimetrodon" with any confidence, we need to see the cross section of the flexor tubercle i.e. does the bottom edge of the claw have a sharp "V" shape?

280887372_ScreenShot2022-09-20at6_51_55PM.png.498e2d730797c36362d528dd64d1c5d9.png

• I found this Informative 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

21 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

does the bottom edge of the claw have a sharp "V" shape?

More information like its exact length (7mm) and history of acquirement was provided, but I can't say for certain as no extra images were provided. I struck quite a good deal regardless of what synapsid it might have belonged to though so I'll provide extra photos with different angles so that we can confidently identify the specimen. Thank you so much for your help and I'll make sure to update y'all once the specimen is in my possession! 

• Enjoyed 1