Lmsolliday

Would love some education on type as anyone has some extra time. I know there’s a lot!  All found on Ponte Vedra beaches.

057ACFFF-7AB6-4957-881A-D389C7F8290A.jpeg

Hemi, Great White, a whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooole bunch of carcharhinus, the lemon from before, more carcharhinus, another hemi, and then more carcharhinus.

Very nice finds! Especially the GW - I still haven't found one myself!

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

1 minute ago, debivort said:

This is the rightmost tooth on the second row.

Figured that would be obvious cause it was covered in the other post - but I should've clarified for anyone else who sees this post and uses it for help!

That first fragment on the top row is another Hemi?  And are carcharhinus bull sharks?  I tried looking it up and seem to get bull sharks, gray sharks, etc.

2 hours ago, Lmsolliday said:

That first fragment on the top row is another Hemi?  And are carcharhinus bull sharks?  I tried looking it up and seem to get bull sharks, gray sharks, etc.

Yes to both of those. Technically. Carcharhinus is the genus that includes bull sharks, grey sharks, brown sharks, etc. i believe they’re called “Requiem sharks”? A lot of them are hard to differentiate between even with a perfect tooth.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, Lmsolliday said:

The genus Carcharhinus contains quite a number of species, and are the most common Miocene-Pliocene fossil shark teeth found on the US East Coast.  The genus includes bull sharks, dusky, oceanic white tip, Caribbean reef sharks, Galapagos sharks, sandbar, copper (bronze whaler), silky, and others.  Speciating Carcharhinus teeth is quite a challenge as several species can be very similar in size and general shape. For instance, bull, dusky, Galapagos and Caribbean reef shark teeth.  Or silky vs bronze whaler.  

That the shape, size, serrations, and curvature differ by mouth position within an individual shark adds to the challenge.

If you want to dive deep and give it a go, let me know and I can share some references that I've poured over since I started collecting shark teeth 30 years ago which have greatly helped me.  That said, even now I would estimate that I'm only confident in less than half my IDs, and easily a 1/3 of my Carcharhinus teeth are left at Carcharhinus sp., with no species determined

• Enjoyed 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Well, sir, now I don’t feel so inadequate!  I felt hopelessly confused trying to pin down what belonged to whom!  And I would love to see some of your references and learn all I can.  I really appreciate the response and offer to help!