Is this a real claw? or is it carved?

msantix

Hi,

This is supposedly a Sauropod claw from Talsint, Morocco measuring 14cm. It is in rough state so I am not confident if it is a real claw or if it just carved bone made to look like a claw. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!!

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

• Enjoyed 1

Looks real to me, interesting piece. With some good love and care this could turn out really nice, if you can find a good fossil prepper 

curious to hear what others think. The matrix covering the claw looks like it's not that hard to remove.

What species could it belong to Diplodocidae family, Apatosaurinae subfamily ? , there is very little information out there it seems 

• I found this Informative 1

The claw is real, looks nice and fairly complete.   Needs prep and some minor resto.

I've seen a number of dealers calling material from Talsint, Cenomanian in age from the Dekkar Fm which is part of the KK Group.    I would like to see a publication that supports the claim.  Seems further northeast than what Ibrahim published.  The Anoual region can be late Jurassic or Early Cretaceous. 

• I found this Informative 2

Oh wow for some reason Ive never seen unprepped material from the Kem Kem, more so a nice sauropod claw. Considering how sometimes potentially nice Kem Kem material end up being bad prep jobs, is selling raw and uprepped material uncommon? I just thought that sometimes it actually may be best for the buyer to get their fossils prepped on their own/ bring it to a more experienced prepper to not risk it.  

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

Links are broken !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

11 hours ago, Troodon said:

The claw is real, looks nice and fairly complete.   Needs prep and some minor resto.

I've seen a number of dealers calling material from Talsint, Cenomanian in age from the Dekkar Fm which is part of the KK Group.    I would like to see a publication that supports the claim.  Seems further northeast than what Ibrahim published.  The Anoual region can be late Jurassic or Early Cretaceous. 

new site, not many people dig there for the moment. I am sure a paper will come, some day... Interesting material there, not only Dino-Material...

1 hour ago, rocket said:

new site, not many people dig there for the moment. I am sure a paper will come, some day... Interesting material there, not only Dino-Material...

Yes but we should not be putting the cart before the horse.  This is similar to sellers following one another and erroneously calling KK deposit material the Tegana Formation.    Ibrahim et al 2020 comments that there are KK bed equivalents in the far north in the Anoual Syncline,  Berriasian in age. 

So we do not know what we are dealing with yet and should avoid describing it to a formation until that paper is published.

• I Agree 1

Please remember, price is not part of this discussion.  Thanks.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hi,

Could you please put the photos back so they’re visible to everyone ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg