Miocene Santa Barbara county

svcgoat

Collected this myself amongst pipefish fossils and not sure what it is. Positive and negative shown in photo

PXL_20220922_214606455.jpg

PXL_20220922_214552752.jpg

PXL_20220923_011117590.jpg

PXL_20220923_011101010.jpg

PXL_20220923_011053431.jpg

Edited by svcgoat
New photos

• svcgoat changed the title to Miocene Santa Barbara county
20 minutes ago, svcgoat said:

Added a few more photos

I'm not going to speak for everyone, but I brought over a fish to the LA County Museum many years ago for an ID from the Topanga Canyon formation (well, below it) . There has not really been much published or studied from these sites when it comes to fishes. Or rather not many of these fish have been described if I'm not mistaken. I'm assuming you have found this website ? Great resource for invertebrates. 

http://inyo4.coffeecup.com/santabarbara/santabarbara.html

Cheers,
Brett

31 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I'm not going to speak for everyone, but I brought over a fish to the LA County Museum many years ago for an ID from the Topanga Canyon formation (well, below it) . There has not really been much published or studied from these sites when it comes to fishes. Or rather not many of these fish have been described if I'm not mistaken. I'm assuming you have found this website ? Great resource for invertebrates. 

http://inyo4.coffeecup.com/santabarbara/santabarbara.html

Cheers,
Brett

Thank you so I guess it's a big unidentified fish head

• I Agree 1

Just now, svcgoat said:

big unidentified fish head

Yes, that was my first impression. Fish head found with other fish in a similar depositional environment. Generally, in the spot I used to hunt it was only ever fish scales that I would find. Until I found a whole fish in a block. 

Cheers,
Brett 

I would also opinionate that it's fish material. Looks like it's from the Monterey Formation based on the matrix coloration?

• I Agree 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

11 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

I would also opinionate that it's fish material. Looks like it's from the Monterey Formation based on the matrix coloration?

Yup Monterey Formation, and yes I assumed it was fish but I wasn't sure if it was just a jumble of bones or a head 

Looks like pieces of a fish skull/. Definitely flaky, fishy bone texture

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana