Modern or fossil cat canine?

Mochaccino

This is described as a feline canine from the Pleistocene of Africa, 7cm long. Does that seem reasonable or does the fossil seem modern? And if it's a fossil, can anyone identify what animal it came from? Thanks.

0D33C41A-63E8-4034-BE18-2A6AFAF83024.jpeg.ed86cb1ef3d70a5c533bc0d50794bbec.jpeg767708F4-7BD6-4B14-8355-4116CD6DEE28.jpeg.a229480e607d8b97bf0c6d26fb3fefdb.jpegBAADE31E-10E1-4E3A-B8DF-DC4553342A62.jpeg.e8eeeb7737a7780215006e1da6a89fa8.jpeg83AB5F8C-8278-40C2-A81D-6284F83AA002.jpeg.67f1a9a0efe3f56339c9540ef957fa80.jpegC17CB6A8-580E-45AB-8E3A-7375575870E0.jpeg.b0b6259951ef753c9bf56199a2147d0f.jpeg

Unfortunately, I can’t help with species identification. As for whether or not it is a true “fossil,” we may have to take the seller’s word for it! Pleistocene mammal “fossils” are often essentially unaltered, at least geologically speaking. What I mean is that the bone (or tooth) material is the exact same as when the animal died, more or less. It isn’t replaced by minerals, it isn’t a cast, it isn’t rock, it’s just the original bone with perhaps some mineral staining or slight mineral precipitation, it hasn’t been long enough for any of that to happen. Because of this, Pleistocene mammal fossils can look aged and mineralized like a fossil, or they can look as young as a completely fresh bone.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Pseudogygites said:

Unfortunately, I can’t help with species identification. As for whether or not it is a true “fossil,” we may have to take the seller’s word for it! Pleistocene mammal “fossils” are often essentially unaltered, at least geologically speaking. What I mean is that the bone (or tooth) material is the exact same as when the animal died, more or less. It isn’t replaced by minerals, it isn’t a cast, it isn’t rock, it’s just the original bone with perhaps some mineral staining or slight mineral precipitation, it hasn’t been long enough for any of that to happen. Because of this, Pleistocene mammal fossils can look aged and mineralized like a fossil, or they can look as young as a completely fresh bone.

Ah I see, yes Pleistocene isn't actually very old so that makes sense. So from what I'm understanding, this tooth appearing almost modern does not particularly rule-out being a Pleistocene-aged fossil. Do you think this at least looks like some sort of cat or tiger tooth?

7 hours ago, Mochaccino said:

Ah I see, yes Pleistocene isn't actually very old so that makes sense. So from what I'm understanding, this tooth appearing almost modern does not particularly rule-out being a Pleistocene-aged fossil. Do you think this at least looks like some sort of cat or tiger tooth?

Exactly! I had assumed this is something you bought, but if it was gifted to you by a museum or scientist, we can probably assume they're right. If you did buy it, particularly online, you can try looking at the seller's account or history. If this is what they do for a living or if they have sold many fossils in the past with specific identifications, we can also assume this individual knows their stuff and wouldn't mislabel an item. If this is the only fossil they have ever sold or if they have only sold a few, we can try to narrow down some more scientific ways to determine the validity of its label. I'm not an expect on mammal teeth or dentition, much less on how to distinguish a cat canine from some other carnivore. The tooth and root seem to be quite thin and laterally compressed compared to other canines I have seen from dogs, bears, etc.

10 hours ago, Pseudogygites said:

Exactly! I had assumed this is something you bought, but if it was gifted to you by a museum or scientist, we can probably assume they're right. If you did buy it, particularly online, you can try looking at the seller's account or history. If this is what they do for a living or if they have sold many fossils in the past with specific identifications, we can also assume this individual knows their stuff and wouldn't mislabel an item. If this is the only fossil they have ever sold or if they have only sold a few, we can try to narrow down some more scientific ways to determine the validity of its label. I'm not an expect on mammal teeth or dentition, much less on how to distinguish a cat canine from some other carnivore. The tooth and root seem to be quite thin and laterally compressed compared to other canines I have seen from dogs, bears, etc.

This piece is actually not mine but one I found for sale, and I thought I'd ask here before considering purchasing it. It does seem like a good idea to examine the seller's history at least if it is difficult to conclude just based on the fossil itself. Thanks.