Went to Beaumaris fossil beach for the first time on holiday

Calcium

Just came back from Beaumaris Fossil beach and I have a load of fossils, I’d appreciate getting them identified I know that a few are sea urchins, and the shell but I’m just not sure about the other pieces 

Note: unfortunately I forgot to add a ruler/item for scale 

24AF1323-B8E8-46A0-AD87-62F19FC5D918.jpeg

B3CD56C0-F6B3-4FBF-959B-BEEEBC858115.jpeg

FBAEC9FB-2678-41E9-93C3-7DF5AAC2F024.jpeg

99A972E3-9E5A-4FD6-A8DF-26E230ED4823.jpeg

F68A8511-15BF-47B0-8027-C5AE113B9462.jpeg

Edited by Calcium
Easier to identify and discuss

I'm seeing an echinoid and a several bits thereof along with the possible crab claw. Otherwise I can't recognize any more obvious fossils. Maybe if you would number the things it would be easier to respond.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

I'm seeing an echinoid and a several bits thereof along with the possible crab claw. Otherwise I can't recognize any more obvious fossils. Maybe if you would number the things it would be easier to respond.

Sorry about that I’m somewhat new to posting on forums like this plus im

on my phone so the website bugs out a bit when I try editing the post but if you think of the pics from top to bottom and number them from left to right (eg the top left item with the rings would be 1 and the white grey item next to it would be 2 etc 

EDIT: I’ve just quickly numbered each item so it’s easier to talk about 

Edited by Calcium

Beaumaris is a fun location but it takes a lot of getting used to (identifying what is fossil material). 

The only definite fossils i can see among your lot are the echinoids (Lovenia woodsi). In your images these are numbers 29 (Fig 5), 5 (Fig 2), 21 and 22 (Fig 4).

The crab claw you have (number 28 in Fig 5) is not fossilized, it is modern. 

You also have a gastropod/snail shell (number 13 in Fig 3), but this looks modern too. 

All of the other pieces are either ironstone (the dark reddish bits) or plain sedimentary rocks, which are worn into odd shapes by the surf. 

Look at images online and try to become familiar with the texture of fossilised bone, there are many small pieces of fossilized whale bone to be found there on the beach at Beaumaris, as well as shark teeth. But you will need to spend a lot longer there in order to get your eye in and start finding these. 

• I found this Informative 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

3 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Beaumaris is a fun location but it takes a lot of getting used to (identifying what is fossil material). 

The only definite fossils i can see among your lot are the echinoids (Lovenia woodsi). In your images these are numbers 29 (Fig 5), 5 (Fig 2), 21 and 22 (Fig 4).

The crab claw you have (number 28 in Fig 5) is not fossilized, it is modern. 

You also have a gastropod/snail shell (number 13 in Fig 3), but this looks modern too. 

All of the other pieces are either ironstone (the dark reddish bits) or plain sedimentary rocks, which are worn into odd shapes by the surf. 

Look at images online and try to become familiar with the texture of fossilised bone, there are many small pieces of fossilized whale bone to be found there on the beach at Beaumaris, as well as shark teeth. But you will need to spend a lot longer there in order to get your eye in and start finding these. 

Well that’s a let down but at least now I know what to look for and spend less time on the sedimentary rocks and such