North Carolina tyrannosaur tooth..Dryptosaurus maybe?

fossil_lover_2277

Tyrannosaur tooth I found in North Carolina's Black Creek group yesterday afternoon. Based on the serration count, I'm thinking it's Dryptosaurus, the line of serrations in the second pic is 1.58cm long (measuring by hand), and I counted 31..I do plan to check them for certain later with a stereoscope, but my understanding is Dryptosaurus has <11 serrations/0.5cm and Appalachiosaurus >11/0.5cm. If anyone who deals with this regularly wants to help with the ID, please feel free.

IMG-2811.thumb.jpg.e8cb4547489b21a4eb21039d5db7371b.jpgIMG-2812.thumb.jpg.59f1c9694cd1455b5cc1d491b2a872a3.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 8

Well first Dryptosaurus is not described from NC so the best you can say is that its similar to one " cf Dryptosaurus".  Not much is published on both of these tyrannosauroids.

These counts on Dryptosaurus are from the middle of the tooth and densities change toward the tip and base.  We have few examples and densities can vary a bit.

With maxillary teeth there are around 9.5/ 5 mm on the mesial edge and 8/ 5 mm on the posterior edge.  On dentary 9/ mm on the posterior.

On Applalachiosaurus the known info crowns around 25 to 30 cm

distal density:  Densities change toward the tip.

11/ 5 mm (3 teeth)

14/ 5 mm

16/ 5 mm.

Its hard to ID a partial tooth just based on a small range of serrations. 

• I found this Informative 6

holy smokes!!

• Enjoyed 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Oh wow, that's an awesome find! :o Congratulations, Landon! :default_clap2:

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Well first Dryptosaurus is not described from NC so the best you can say is that its similar to one " cf Dryptosaurus".  Not much is published on both of these tyrannosauroids.

These counts on Dryptosaurus are from the middle of the tooth and densities change toward the tip and base.  We have few examples and densities can vary a bit.

With maxillary teeth there are around 9.5/ 5 mm on the mesial edge and 8/ 5 mm on the posterior edge.  On dentary 9/ mm on the posterior.

11/ 5 mm (3 teeth)

14/ 5 mm

16/ 5 mm.

Thank you, that’s interesting to know! I can see how it wouldn’t have been described yet, thanks to the fragmentary nature of Black Creek group remains.

17 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Oh wow, that's an awesome find! :o Congratulations, Landon! :default_clap2:

Yea when I found that sucker, I just about got up and left. That made the trip haha

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Jared C said:

holy smokes!!

That’s what I thought when I first saw it! Lol I was checking it over for serrations just to be sure it wasn’t mosasaur, didn’t expect to find one

8 hours ago, Troodon said:

11/ 5 mm (3 teeth)

14/ 5 mm

16/ 5 mm.

Another quick question, I saw on a post of yours you have an Acrocanthosaurus tooth in a nice glass display case, and you said that type of case had a specific name, do you happen to recall what that is? I’m trying to find the post again but am having a bit of trouble.

BTW forgot to mention nice find, you dont see too many like that from NC.

Not glass but thin PE film.  Its a 3D floating frame you can purchase on amazon.  Lots of different sizes available

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

BTW forgot to mention nice find, you dont see too many like that from NC.

Not glass but thin PE film.  Its a 3D floating frame you can purchase on amazon.  Lots of different sizes available

Thank you! Btw that Acro tooth isn’t exactly too shabby either haha :notworthy:  beautiful tooth

7 hours ago, Plax said:

Thanks. I found a copy online and downloaded it. It may be a bit, but this is something I definitely want to read over when I get the chance. East coast Mesozoic material is interesting. Especially the Black Creek group. Don’t want to give out too much info, but the fossil deposits are quite odd relative to some.

Edited by fossil_lover_2277