Ammonite?

DrewNZ

First off, I'm a complete novice when it comes to fossils so please ignore my ignorance!

I recently found my first fossil and I'm still waiting for the bits to arrive so I can have a go at prepping it.  On hearing this and my excitement about it my Mother In Law handed me a rock and said I found this about 30 years ago on a trip to Brighton in England I want you to have it. 

I think it might be an Ammonite (complete guess based on pictures I've seen of Ammonites), also when I first looked at it I thought it was merely the impression left by the fossil, but on looking at it with magnification I'm not so sure anymore. 

Can someone advise?

Thanks,

Drew

fossil1.jpg

fossil2.jpg

That’s an ammonite if I’ve ever seen one! From the images you gave it seems to be the actual fossil, but it is still covered by a lot of rock.

Edited by GreatHoatzin
Added info
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Above is actually 2 pictures of the one stone, I didn't realize when I uploaded it that it would put them together as it did and make them look like one.

It is about 10 cm by 7 cm (4.5 inches by 3 inches)

fossil3.jpg

• Thank You 1

Thanks for the pic. Are you sure that you found this at Brighton? The reason I ask is that the sediments on that stretch of coast are all from the Cretaceous (chalk) and younger and your find resembles more the shale mudstone from the Early Jurassic, which occurs much farther to the west.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi,

I can be sure of nothing, My Mother in Law found it 30 years ago and gave it to me last week, she said she found it 'on the beach' in Brighton. I can see if she can be a bit more specific if it is important.

Regards,

Drew

Regardless, it should be a great specimen after a bit of prep. Also show us the one you found when possible.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Ammonite?
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

I finally have a bit of clarification it was actually a place called Kilve in Someset that it was found.

Regards,

Drew