Late-Cretaceous fossils from the Netherlands and written article about them

Fossilsforever

Hello all Fossilcollectors!:hammer01:

I went fossil hunting in Late-Cretaceous sediments of Limburg (NL).

I found some belemnite rostra (Belemnoidea, family Belemnitida, Belemnitellidae) species Belemnitella cf. minor II (Christensen, 1995), Belemnella (pachybelemnella) sumensis/cimbrica, Belemnella (pachybelemnella) obtusa (Schulz, 1979) and (possible) Belemnitella junior (Nowak, 1913). These 'squid-pens' are made of calcite and formed a important part of the animals internal skeleton. Many of them are broken, but also some (almost) complete ones. One is embedded in chalk (with glauconite traces but not 100% sure) and others with chalk remains. Found from the above mentioned species never a complete phragmocone (still two almost complete or molds) or parts of the pro-ostracum (not one, very thin and brittle apparently). Also found one very small belemnite (juvenile?). 

Other then belemnites, I found a Steinkern of a sea-urchin (Echinocorys sp.) in a stream of water. 

All of the above mentioned fossils are 72-66 (broader indication) or 70-68/70-67 mya (exacter indication for some layers), years old. Late (late) Campanian, early Maastrichtian. 

For American collectors: you can collect the Cretaceous belemnite species Belemnitella americana (Morton, 1830) in New Jersey and/or Jurassic belemnites in Wyoming. For British collectors: many places to collect Jurassic belemnites like Cylindroteuthis sp. like places along the Jurassic Coast (Charmouth, Lyme Regis). Important: only search if allowed and follow the regulations. 

For collectors who are more interested in these ancient squid-like creatures and have some belemnites in their collection: see my written article in the latest number of The Ecphora. http://www.calvertmarinemuseum.com/204/The-Ecphora-Newsletter

1938111164_Late-Cretaceousfossils.jpg

Edited by Fossilsforever
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1