Is this an Echinoid?

fossil_fodder

Found in Stroud, Glous, UK

Its very faint, but I think I can see 6 segments from the top view (image 2), but it also might be my imagination. The piece of rock is quite regular shaped, almost a perfect dome-shape.

It does have a bulge on one segment, which to me looks like its excess rock that I could attempt to clean off... but also mixed in there might be part of the better preserved outer-shell as I can see what appear to be patterns emanating from the centre... either that or they are bits of other fossils that got stuck inside this one.

Bottom:

IMG_20220927_112130.jpg

Top:

IMG_20220927_112136.jpg

Side:

IMG_20220927_112233.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

it is indeed a worn echinoid fossil, only the inner cast is left.

Also, it is 5 segments ;) echinoids have a five part symmetry .

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 5

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

thanks very much! - I did wander about the 5 points thing, but I swear i can see 3 lines crossing it in to 6 segments... but its quite hard to see :)

2 hours ago, fossil_fodder said:

thanks very much! - I did wander about the 5 points thing, but I swear i can see 3 lines crossing it in to 6 segments... but its quite hard to see :)

Three lines is correct, only one doesn't extend to the other side, while two do ;)

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett