Michigan Devonian trip

connorp

A couple weeks ago I took a road trip along the entire border of the lower peninsula of Michigan. One of the days was spent collecting Devonian fossils around Alpena. I visited four sites and had a lot of luck, finding dozens of crinoid calyxes, a couple trilobites, and many other interesting things. It will take me a while to sort through everything, but I did finish cleaning up finds from one of the sites and wanted to share. Nothing groundbreaking, but all good finds for me as I rarely get to collect in the Devonian.

The coral Trachypora sp.

im4.thumb.jpg.aa3cca226c66ddd57766cb62a1f3a3cc.jpg

A partial Dolatocrinus calyx encrusted by a bryozoan

im2.thumb.jpg.60f33403855b43c71f5672b16ee3aa9e.jpg

A partial crinoid holdfast

im3.thumb.jpg.a509469863e7ef82174b04954f86b567.jpg

A partial Dolatocrinus calyx (top left) and some plates from a Megistocrinus calyx (center)

im1.thumb.jpg.679e10421c05cbca91ed48e930373837.jpg

• Enjoyed 14

Nice finds Connor! I agree with Adam. That Trachypora is a real gem. :wub:

Those crinoid parts ain’t bad either! :) 

Congrats on getting to dig around in the Devonian. Like you, it’s a period of time that I rarely get to hunt. :envy:

• I Agree 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 2 weeks later...

The Dolatocrinus calyx is top tier. I have a couple of Megistocrinus from the NE of Michigan, also Devonian.