Deconstructed small black holey knobby thing...

Lone Hunter

Possible turtle scutes. If vertebrate fragments, I wonder if you are looking at a coprolite.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I'm getting an osteoderm feel from this. They've got interesting bumps running down the midlines of each section that remind me of gator osteoderms plus the "holey" appearance (so they can more firmly attach to the outside tissue/skin?),  though they do look a bit off. It's the Woodbine which is known to have croc material now and then. But then again, what hasn't been found in the Woodbine...

Regardless, I would be pretty hyped to find something like that. I've got a good feeling about it. Really curious to hear what others think about this being croc. Congrats!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Ok did some cleaning, hmm, kinda looks like the whole thing whatever it is though the shape looks kinda like a turtle shell.

IMG_20221002_012159097~2.jpg

IMG_20221002_011950316~2.jpg

IMG_20221002_012118188~2.jpg

IMG_20221002_012710337~2.jpg

IMG_20221002_012620808~2.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

I was hoping someone would finally say crab.  :Smiling:

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Do we know how thick these plates are? Thinner, ~1 mm or less might suggest decapod. Several mm thick might suggest vertebrate. 

It sort of looks like a series of lined up plates with flexible joints between them. I can see similarities to lobster/shrimp tail. Any pictures of decapod fossils that have the row of finger like spikes shown in photo?

D48CC585-AA90-4F67-84A9-C7DB56F724D7.jpeg

• Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• 1 month later...

I don't know how I missed the last reply!  Yes it looked to me like a series of plates loosely joined going down length of a spine as I imagine it. Hard to say exactly how thick but at least one mm. The frilly knobs most remind me of an iguanas back.

Edited by Lone Hunter

On 10/3/2022 at 5:27 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

Any pictures of decapod fossils that have the row of finger like spikes shown in photo?

link 

• Thank You 1