Silurian Eurypterus fossil has apparent symmetrical structures in Dorsal Cephalothorax

Biotalker

I was fascinated by this eurypterid fragment from Ukraine because it has a rough symmetrical pattern on the dorsal surface of the cephalothorax. There is a midline structure with apparent tracts leading to the eyes and perhaps other structures (like downwards toward the abdomen). It doesn’t look like ventral appendages of the cephalothorax projecting dorsally.

This has the appearance of some internal structure, fossilized with perhaps some part of the dorsal exoskeleton removed. While very unlikely, the tracts toward the eyes might lend some support an interpretation of a neural or neural structural component. This may very well be an artifact or perhaps someone has another explanation. The lighter two pictures have a light source from above while the darker three have a light source from the side to highlight the contours.

Be Ceph Zoom sideview Crp.jpg

Be CephTh Crp.jpg

Be Ceph sideview good CRP.jpg

Be whole sideview CRP.jpg

2108524448_BewholeCrp.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

Here is an anatomy cartoon of a relative scorpion showing the location of the internal structures including the brain. Also, a second figure to give you a sense of chelicerate and basic arthropod brains and necessary connections to the eyes.

scorpion anatomy.png

arthr brain 3 c Crp.jfif

• I found this Informative 3

The legs and connecting segments make up a lot to compress ventrally, add the chelicera, coxa and metastoma, there is a busy area to interpret. 

IMG_3044.JPG

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

• 4 months later...

Here is another Ukrainian eurypterid head showing dorsal folds with some level of bilateral symmetry like the original post. This looks like a molt so probably not be due to underlying structures. Perhaps it is just the way the cephalon folds under certain fossilizing conditions. 

Eurypterus head with folds 2.jpg