kauffy

Castle Rock, Near Hays

kauffy

This is a great spot...considering Kansas is so flat! the chalk in this surrounding area is extreamly fossiliferous. Its about a 45min drive from Hays. You will need to get a road map of hays in order to see the small dirt roads that link through the grasslands in order to get to Castle Rock. It is Private land but the owner allows fossil collectors to drive in. You may feel like your getting lost, but stick to the roads and eventually you will come to a metal sign saying castle rock. drive up to the top and walk down...you will need to walk down to the very bottom, where the chalk is exposed. You should see "castle Rock" in front of you.

Take some water with you, some bags to carry your goodies up and watch out when lifting any rocks, there are lots of rattle snakes.

It is possible to find, shark teeth, fish bones and bits, lots of oysters, and there are very nice Platycerimus Clams that you can see in the chalk. They are about 2ft long and about 10mm thick. They are usually covered in oysters.

post-142-1207434859_thumb.jpg

post-142-1207434884_thumb.jpg

post-142-1207435552_thumb.jpg

Fruitbat

kauffy...

I actually visited the Castle Rock area back in the 1980s with a couple of friends. I didn't find much but one of my friends found about two feet of articulated fish backbone. I really enjoyed walking around that area.

-Joe

kauffy

Thats pretty cool Fruit. We didnt find too much, although it is hunted often and we went late sunday afternoon..i found one fish very, and a messed up fish tail piece. im sure theres more there, we just didnt look very hard! haha

The Black Ghost

How would one go about getting permission to get to this site---its on private land? Is there a specific entrance, or is it blocked off?

kauffy
How would one go about getting permission to get to this site---its on private land? Is there a specific entrance, or is it blocked off?

No need to verbalize permission, the owner of the property allows fossil hunters to go up there, if anyone stops you just let them know your headed to castle rock to look for fossils! No fences, its all public dirt roads as far as i know, but the actuall hill is on private land. (an off road, with a big metal sign 'castle rock' points you in the direction, from here your on private land)

Get a map of Hays (or Kansas depending on how detailed, or google earth it) you have to take one of the exits off the highway and follow some dirt roads for a while, look at the map, find a route... you think your heading into the middle of nowhere but eventually you come over a hill and you can see it to your right, continue on route towards it and you end up driving up the back (so you cant really see it) but you will get to the sign that says castle rock, follow it!

Shamalama

Any pictures of your finds? :D

kauffy

hmm yes im sure i have some pics laying around, let me take a look around and see what i can 'dig up'!

Mike Owens

Thanks for posting! Brings back memories. Visited Sternberg Museum in '84. Did a little "lookin'" while there. Got my first string of fish vertebrea there.

The Black Ghost

Very helpful. The Interstate through Kansas could be the route of a return trip from CO, I was interested when I saw how close this is to the highway, but I like the no-fences, makes things much easier. Ive heard the area is pretty well picked over but it might be worth the stop if I can ever pick up a few finds there

kauffy

I went late on a sunday, im sure it had been picked over to a great extent, especially as i did not venture past the first exposure closest to the road...but i still managed to grab some articulated tail bone hash and a fish vert, as well as some nice invertebretes!

Looked for some pics, seems i only have some of my little fish vert. Sorry, it was 2 years ago that i visited this site...still, this was my first ever vert fossil i found and i remember how excited i was! this spot will definetley get some more attention from me next time im in Kansas!

EDIT: cant get the pic to upload....i think there are some pics in my gallery if your interested.