What information are obtainable from teeth fossils just by looking at it & by using microscopes?

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a professor in this field or someone with any sufficient knowledge in the matter of question, what can we obtain from looking at a tooth of an animal? 

The purpose of the question is to learn and design an Image processing algorithm that shall do the work for non-experts who would find a tooth of a fossil.

So far, I've come to know it is easy to determine if the animal is carnivorous or herbivorous. But I don't know how to do it myself yet.

Any help? 

I don't at all profess to be an expert in this field, but first you would need to specify if your algorithm wants to define a species, genera, class or order, if it's searching for recent animals only or also for fossils (edit: I just noticed that you've mentioned the word "fossil"). There are and have been an awful lot of toothed animals over millions of years, so you certainly would have your work cut out for you trying to get your teeth sorted out.

Edited by Ludwigia
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/