Meteorite?

mr fossil

Hello!

I found this rock in the desert in Saudi Arabia, it felt heavy and I measured its density to be 2.9 g/cm3. 
I also cut it on the edge and appeared to be iron or some metal but it doesn’t stick to a magnet.

what is it?

89C476B8-5104-4D0D-8EB1-5E812FD4BB5A.jpeg

2E38C36B-9469-47C9-BA35-34534E978329.jpeg

66067824-2EEB-41B7-A29B-3D99137695A8.jpeg

If it's metallic when cut and doesn't stick to a magnet, it almost certainly is not a meteorite. Most all meteorites have a high iron content, especially the metal ones (called "iron meteorites" which are composed of > 90% iron). You were looking in a decent place to find them, many meteorites have been found in deserts where they don't erode as quickly.

Edited by ThePhysicist

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

9 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

What was the color of the resulting powder during cutting?

Franz Bernhard

It was black

3 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

If it's metallic when cut and doesn't stick to a magnet, it almost certainly is not a meteorite. Most all meteorites have a high iron content, especially the metal ones (called "iron meteorites" which are composed of > 90% iron). You were looking in a decent place to find them, many meteorites have been found in deserts where they don't erode as quickly.

Then what is it?

6 minutes ago, mr fossil said:

Then what is it?

9 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

It's probably a concretion of some kind of iron oxide like limonite. 

See what the streak is of the dark part, if black/grey then there is also magnetite, if reddish/brown then hematite. 

Puzzling!

Density* is quite in the normal range for rocks.

From some pics, I get the feeling that it is a weathered concretion.

Limonite should give a brown powder.

Metallic sheen - the low density does not fit with most metals.

Rusted iron, weathered pyrrhotite - should be more dense and magnetic.

Weathered pyrite/marcasite - should be more dense.

Same with magnetite and hematite.

*A weathering crust and impurites can lower density considerably, though! But still may quite look like the pure stuff!

@mr fossil, would you like to chip off a small piece from the already cut edge? What does it look like?

Would you like to perform a proper streak test with the fresh interior?

Have you checked the accuracy of your density measurement with a normal rock such a limestone?

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, mr fossil said:

Then what is it?

An Earth rock ;). I don't know what kind, however. To my knowledge, nothing presented here supports it being a meteorite.

If you'd like a second (more knowledgable) opinion, try shooting Randy Korotev an email: https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/self-test-check-list/

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

We need to give this to everyone that shows us a picture of their purported meteorite. Too bad that someone can’t create a “library” of links and file this under meteorite. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Did you use a strong magnet on the cut surface? That surface looks very much like metallic iron, A weak magnet may not show its effect clearly through a thick crust of oxide though.  Or maybe magnetite, as Lone Hunter stated, hematite should give a red powder/streak which you can test on the backside of a white ceramic plate or tile.

As I like to state, there are alloys of iron, kinds of steel, that are not magnetic. But those are relatively new and do not rust fast, so I would not expect a manmade piece of steel to have gathered that much oxide.

Beautiful piece in its way.

Best Regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
spelling

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley