Teeth fossils

Omar01

Hello everyone, I'm looking for people who have teeth fossils collections to help build a dataset for my graduation project which will be an application that does identify a tooth and extract information from the tooth image.

If you don't mind sharing your dataset or a subset of it, please reply to this topic or PM me.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest that you take a look through the collections sections here in search of your information. You would of course need to ask permission for anything you would want to use.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

16 minutes ago, Omar01 said:

Hello everyone, I'm looking for people who have teeth fossils collections to help build a dataset for my graduation project which will be an application that does identify a tooth and extract information from the tooth image.

If you don't mind sharing your dataset or a subset of it, please reply to this topic or PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Great idea! How much time do you have for your project?

if a shorter amount of time I’d narrow down to a particular type of tooth. Mammal could be a job in its self. I know for example keys exist for shark teeth and the diagnostic features are specific to them.

To give you an idea of the code complexity, for shark teeth there are separate keys for different families. You would have an initial key or code for families. Then you would have separate code or keys for uppers and lowers, considering position in the mouth.

hope this is helpful? You might have already thought of all this of course! 

Welcome to TFF, @Omar01:)

I think it is a cool idea! It also sounds very challenging to make... ;)

I am not quite sure what you need, but you are more than welcome to use any of the images of my fossils. :) Here is a link to my gallery: 

-Micah

34 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I would suggest that you take a look through the collections sections here in search of your information. You would of course need to ask permission for anything you would want to use.

I will. I thank you for pointing this out, I will make sure I contact them and mention their names on our references when we submit our papers.

22 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

Great idea! How much time do you have for your project?

if a shorter amount of time I’d narrow down to a particular type of tooth. Mammal could be a job in its self. I know for example keys exist for shark teeth and the diagnostic features are specific to them.

To give you an idea of the code complexity, for shark teeth there are separate keys for different families. You would have an initial key or code for families. Then you would have separate code or keys for uppers and lowers, considering position in the mouth.

hope this is helpful? You might have already thought of all this of course! 

We have 8 months left but things are done and submitted during this period not at the end of it. 

I did not really understand your comment, if you don't mind i will be messaging you for further elaboration.

11 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Welcome to TFF, @Omar01:)

I think it is a cool idea! It also sounds very challenging to make... ;)

I am not quite sure what you need, but you are more than welcome to use any of the images of my fossils. :) Here is a link to my gallery: 

-Micah

Hello Miach, I'm really amazed by your gallery it's such an amazing set of fossils you have, you must be proud.

I see you have images for tooth fossils which are what i need. However, the images show only front side of the tooth while i do need 3-6 images of the same tooth from different axis X,Y and Z/front, above and back sides of the tooth. If you don't mind cooperating we would really assist your help building our project and would be excited for the day you use it since a User Feedback is required by our universty.

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Omar01 said:

Hello Miach, I'm really amazed by your gallery it's such an amazing set of fossils you have, you must be proud.

I see you have images for tooth fossils which are what i need. However, the images show only front side of the tooth while i do need 3-6 images of the same tooth from different axis X,Y and Z/front, above and back sides of the tooth. If you don't mind cooperating we would really assist your help building our project and would be excited for the day you use it since a User Feedback is required by our universty.

Thanks!

That does make sense, and I would love to help, but unfortunately all of the stuff I use to take images is all packed away, as I am moving to Nebraska in a few days. ;) However I do have this picture, would it help...? 

-Micah

30 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Thanks!

That does make sense, and I would love to help, but unfortunately all of the stuff I use to take images is all packed away, as I am moving to Nebraska in a few days. ;) However I do have this picture, would it help...? 

-Micah

That is very close to what I need!

I hope that you reach Nebraska safely.

Could you hint me when would you be able to assist us with your equipment? 

• Thank You 1

Well, I am not quite sure. We are starting the drive next wednesday, and it will take a few days to get everything all unpacked, and stuff. I also need to purchase a few things for taking the images, like sticky tac, and a clear acrylic sheet. It may be a few weeks. I will try to remember, but I may need you to remind me in a couple weeks. 

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21

I have a wide range of ungulate teeth at differing levels of feeding wear from the White River Formation that I'd be happy to capture imagery of.