Saivodus in Illinois?

Joseph Fossil

I have recently been combing through the geologic records of the Carboniferous Ctecanthiform shark Saivodus striatus and I'v found something curious. It's been found in Mississippian deposits in Indiana, Kentucky, but not really Illinois! 

https://www.uky.edu/KGS/fossils/fossil-of-the-month_2022-07_Saivodus.php

I've heard that Cladodus ferox and C. spinosus (considered synonyms of Saviodus striatus) have been found in the Carbondale and St.Louis Formations in Kankakee and Madison county respectively, but I'm wondering if this is correct?

I'm wondering if anyone who have any info on Saivodus fossils in Illinois (especially somewhat Northern Illinois) and if there have been any records of them in Counties like LaSalle, Kendell, or Grundy?

Moreover, I relooked at some fossils I found at a bond formation road cut in Oglesby, Illinois and discovered a potential cladodont which looks a lot like a small Saivodus!

I especially think this could be a possibility judging by the specimen's slender shape and lack of large lateral cusps on the either side of the tooth IMG_9708.thumb.jpg.d182f29e25d42bf733dfa0c555e1736a.jpg

What do you guys think? 

i'm not of much help here, but regardless I think you'll need to prep it a bit more before anyone forms an opinion

• I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg