TUrban

Hi, I was recently at a gem, mineral and fossil show where I purchased this fossil that was labeled "Struthiomimus Claw". Upon a closer look when I got home something just seems off. It doesnt really look too much like a claw to me. The tag says that it is from the Hell Creek of South Dakota although that is as specific as it got. Does this look like a Struthiomimus claw? If not, is there any idea as to what it may be instead? Fossil is 1 inch long and and about .75 of an inch tall.

MicrosoftTeams-image (5).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (4).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (3).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (2).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

I am ready to learn here too! My one thought is I am not sure if a claw has the internal canals this has, I thought that was only bones but as I said I am ready to learn! 

I have just had a look at my cave bear claw and that does have canals! So I take the above comment back!........learning!

Hi, no idea about the species, but the core of  vertebrate claws is made of bone, including spongiosa, which is the canals you see. The outer sheath is ceratin, which is only very rarely preserved as fossil. May well be a claw-core.

Cheers,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

It looks like it could be a section of a claw that is close to the tip. You can see the end of a possible bloodgroove in the part I circled below.

claw.thumb.jpg.0cb130a529c0be9a5895a771ed3ebb43.jpg

I'm not sure what it came from, however. I couldn't tell you whether it's from a dinosaur or some other reptile like a croc or turtle.

One possibility I think that can be ruled out is it being a Struthiomimus hand claw, as those have a distinctly long and slender shape to them. This piece appears to be more robust than what I would expect from an Ornithomimid hand claw.

Here are some examples of Struthiomimus hand claws from Troodon's collection that show this:

post-10935-0-57044500-1468337660.thumb.jpg.0390cfacb8b0d3a080d494beabbb0ad6.jpg

Edited by Meatasaurus93

Nothing stands out that this is a Struthiomimus claw or even theropod.  Just a bone fragment nothing points to a claw.

The shape mimics a foot claw but its not.

Screenshot_20221008-113003_Drive.jpg.0ba49cd7506fd01f5cb7c93332a19e72.jpg