Is this common?

ChrisSarahRox

Found near one of my favorite trails right on the edge of our spread in Grant County New Mexico. I'm hoping you find it as neat as I do. 

50 minutes ago, ChrisSarahRox said:

I'm sorry, it did not load my pics and now I'm really confused lol please help

Upload your images directly to The Forum using the "Add Files" button.  The "+" sign on the uploaded file will place it at your cursor location.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The only option it offers is "add files" when tapped it does nothing but highlight the surrounding box. 

47 minutes ago, ChrisSarahRox said:

The only option it offers is "add files" when tapped it does nothing but highlight the surrounding box. 

What device and browser are you using?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I was able to post with no issues my first early this morning. I thought maybe it was because I posted a dud lol

• Enjoyed 1

I switched devices to one with a little more technology then a VCR and was successful! Thank you for your patience and your help. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisSarahRox said:

I switched devices to one with a little more technology then a VCR and was successful! Thank you for your patience and your help. 

I merged your new topic with the original attempt. 

You can upload additional images in Replies to this topic.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

They did post, yes. Can you post some shots of the ends on the item?

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Yes of course, sorry for my delay. I will take pics of the item now and have them up in about an hour. 

17 hours ago, daves64 said:

They did post, yes. Can you post some shots of the ends on the item?

20221011_151320.jpg

20221011_151212.jpg

20221011_151108.jpg

20221011_151102.jpg

My posts do not seem to be attracting any feedback, have I done something wrong when posting or simply because they warrant none? I will not take anything personal nor will I question the validity of any members opinion. I did have high hopes for the last two I shared but will not give up should they be just rocks. I appreciate any help you can offer. With all that said, it occurred to me recently of how members of this forum must take so much animosity from people who have had a treasure become just a rock in just a few words. I now know the feeling well, but for me it only means one thing...I get to keep looking and more importantly get to keep living. I applaud everyone who has responded to yet another "egg" post with words of encouragement following the words beginners such as myself are not prepared to read, and those willing to impart knowledge and more importantly their time. 

Hi,

I didn’t answer because I have no idea what it is, I’m not even sure it’s a fossil. But I want to emphasize your good reaction. Sometimes when we start we are in a hurry to get answers, but we are not 24/24 on the forum, we have to wait for more competent people to arrive and see your photos and it can take a few days.

To have more answers, good indications of place, age when known, dimensions, views on all sides and numbered photos help. You did all this, so let’s wait.

Keep searching and read the TFF forum a lot, you will learn a lot, especially what can be found and in what forms. You’re on your way.

Coco

• Enjoyed 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.

Whatever type of fossil it is, it did not preserve great detail. A slightly wild guess would be a stick-like bryozoan. EDIT: Second look; the polygonal structures that look like bryozoans are a little too large 1.5 mm across to be bryozoans. With better formation and age info, a NM local familiar with the area might be able to make a better guess. Are you able to find a good geology map and let us know what formation the rock is from and it’s age?

What is this rock, chert? See if a metal knife scratches it.

Keep looking; not every fossil can be identified. We all have some.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Did anyone else feel I was whining on my last?, Cause I did. Sheesh. Thank you kindly for responding firstly, when you said it did not preserve in great detail, could you please elaborate on that a bit more? Also I have found many pages on the age of my area because of my proximity to The Gila Cliff Dwellings (which are beyond words to describe BTW) but after reading new member rules and was not clear on posting links or images other than my own. 

Also thank you Coco for your helpful and kind words. I have been doing so much reading and browsing on this forum and soaking up everything I possibly can .

In this case I’m with coco. I’m unsure about this. In some pictures it looks like it may be a fossil and in some pictures it looks like it may be geological….

some of our members are on several times a day and some are only on a couple times a week. Sometimes it takes a while for the right member to see a post….

it looks like its about half there. The light part looks like it could be the outer shell with the center being inside or infill. Think of an ice cream cone chopped in half lengthwise…

172DBA49-2ACF-421E-8FEB-84289B25B66E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

23 hours ago, Randyw said:

In this case I’m with coco. I’m unsure about this. In some pictures it looks like it may be a fossil and in some pictures it looks like it may be geological….

some of our members are on several times a day and some are only on a couple times a week. Sometimes it takes a while for the right member to see a post….

it looks like its about half there. The light part looks like it could be the outer shell with the center being inside or infill. Think of an ice cream cone chopped in half lengthwise…

172DBA49-2ACF-421E-8FEB-84289B25B66E.jpeg

Thank you for the clarification Randy and for the analogy. And it's responses like these that make this forum so respected. 

Hi,

I was hoping to hear (read, actually) someone telling you what this is, as I have not much of an idea. some resemblance to fulgurites, but I do not think thats what it is.

Maybe @Rockwood has an idea ;)

Best Regards,

J

• Enjoyed 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Ah ! This one did get photos. It slipped my attention.

I would guess silicified, probably metamorphosed, branching tabulate coral. It's similar to what I see in the northern exposure of the Hardwood Mt. formation here in Maine. There isn't enough detail to say for certain though.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1