Potential fossilized Whale Bone?

bencoulter

Stumbled across this large potential fossilized bone on a beach walk today. Any ideas on what animal it could be from? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Shoe in one photo for size reference. 

AD01AECD-7707-4F88-A9B2-282DD3934C68.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Where did you find it? What formation or age? 

Probably a fossil, note tubular structures. Looks like the layered sediments hardened after the fossil or was hardened.

@Boesse might be able to help if we get a good locality.

DD2C05F3-BEFF-4DB0-B5D7-9E1B84F1E4D6.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Interesting mystery. Just as an aid this item was found on a beach in California. Including important information only in the topic tags can be troublesome as most folks don't read the contents of the tags. They are more used as search terms while searching the forum. Always a good idea to include pertinent details in the message body itself. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

No mystery - it's a cross-section through one side of the skull and mandible of a baleen whale, presumably in the Monterey Formation or one of its members in Santa Barbara or LA County. This is a cross-section right through the part of the snout that has the blowhole.

image.png.137581873a45d7a4e2c02e471c378de9.png

• I found this Informative 7
  • Thank You 1

Is that a size 3 infant's shoe, or a size 16 men's?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

7 hours ago, Boesse said:

No mystery - it's a cross-section through one side of the skull and mandible of a baleen whale

It's so nice to have topic experts here on the forum. :thumbsu:

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 3

Wow. So this is the second person to find something like this, what on earth. That’s amazing!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

With Bobby's expertise,  I recognize the mandible as a whale mandible cross_section. But I am curious. How exactly does this rock with a whale form ( starting with the whale's death) and ending  up with a slice of the rock with the cross section of the mandible nicely exposed for our viewing?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Very interesting. I can say without reservation that I would have walked right by that one. Maybe I have?  And, being that I'll be camping at a place with Monterey formation exposures next week, maybe I will again. :zzzzscratchchin: Good eye to the OP, and impressively descriptive ID by Boesse.