Does anyone know of the best public areas to collect ammonites in the U.S.? Ie., places like Lake Texoma where they allow you to collect ammonites on public land. I don’t really want to vacation in Texas this year and am looking for alternative places to collect at. Essentially looking for public locations anywhere except Texas.

Thank you all in advance!

The rivers of Alabama toward the south. I know of an area in Tennesse where they can be found but it's limited access.

New Mexico. Look at @PFOOLEY 's content.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

South Dakota's Pierre shale has huge amounts of ammonites and also lots of public lands to look on.  The only problem is that most of it isnt marked, so you need good, current maps and GPS to know when you cross from public to private.  There aren't typically fences that delineate the boundaries.

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

14 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

South Dakota's Pierre shale has huge amounts of ammonites and also lots of public lands to look on.  The only problem is that most of it isnt marked, so you need good, current maps and GPS to know when you cross from public to private.  There aren't typically fences that delineate the boundaries.

and those of us who have found good sites are not likely to share them  : )

PS... I got kicked off of BLM land by the local rancher here in eastern Wyoming (Pierre Shale) who leases the land for grazing.  Legally, she did not have the right, but leaving peacefully was my first step in building a relationship... which has not gone anywhere ... yet.  (She also has a ton of private land I would like to explore). 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

12 minutes ago, jpc said:

and those of us who have found good sites are not likely to share them  : )

PS... I got kicked off of BLM land by the local rancher here in eastern Wyoming (Pierre Shale) who leases the land for grazing.  Legally, she did not have the right, but leaving peacefully was my first step in building a relationship... which has not gone anywhere ... yet.  (She also has a ton of private land I would like to explore). 

I thought everyone ran on the assumption that most publicly accessible collecting sites are going to be mediocre because they’ve been picked over.

35 minutes ago, Megalodoodle said:

I thought everyone ran on the assumption that most publicly accessible collecting sites are going to be mediocre because they’ve been picked over.

Nope, some sites havent had much hunting pressure, but those sites are unlikely to be beside the road.  Be prepared to spend some time hiking and hunting.580852290_baculites2022.thumb.jpg.b2d3a63ce7caaba0bd3ce4450d435fef.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I have a really good site where you can find baculites, ammonites and large rudist bivalves out in Colorado if you'd like.

Hello,in France its more easy:heartylaugh::heartylaugh:

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

Moscow is pretty darn good! And it's nowhere near Texas.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Moscow is pretty darn good! And it's nowhere near Texas.

You mean that they got rid of Moscow, Texas?

There must be some good fossils near the 20 Moscows in North America.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_(disambiguation)#Places

FC4A7F03-FAAF-4E18-9F7B-0F74BD10E894.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

13 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

You mean that they got rid of Moscow, Texas?

The one just west of Warsaw? (Indiana) :) This can really mess up the geography of one's mind.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!