Big Mama Trilobite needs Identifying, Thoughts and Opinions

EglFlyr1963

Olenellidae Family nice find working on further classification  :thumbsu: Probably others may have a better classification nice find either way.

Emigrantia sp., a cephalon

Edited by Stingray

I have been going to Oak Springs for 15 years and never found  anything over 1.5".  What do you think the "Gill Like" strutures are?

This doesn't look like a trilobite to me :shrug:

Looks like some weird mineral staining. The "gill" structures look like a fracture pattern.

Maybe some pictures from different angles would help.

• I Agree 7

@EglFlyr1963, you are funny guy!

Poking a little bit fun at us is always ok! And very creative, putting part and counterpart side by side, thereby emulating something like a trilo cephalon!

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 3

4 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

@EglFlyr1963, you are funny guy!

Poking a little bit fun at us is always ok! And very creative, putting part and counterpart side by side, thereby emulating something like a trilo cephalon!

Franz Bernhard

Hey, it came out of the ground like this.In a highly fossiliferous area of Nevada. I just wrapped it up for the flight home. No prepping was done. :trilo:

3 hours ago, EglFlyr1963 said:

Hey, it came out of the ground like this.In a highly fossiliferous area of Nevada. I just wrapped it up for the flight home. No prepping was done. :trilo:

Then, it appears someone glued the counterparts of a split rock side by side and tossed it in the talus on site.  What does the back look like?

• Enjoyed 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

5 hours ago, connorp said:

This doesn't look like a trilobite to me :shrug:

Looks like some weird mineral staining. The "gill" structures look like a fracture pattern.

Maybe some pictures from different angles would help.

This was my reaction as well. 

I've found a few weird things at the Oak Springs Trilobite Site, and yours also looks strange.  Remember this was in the early Cambrian and Mother Nature was still trying to sort out the sustainable from the unsustainable organic life forms.  Here's a strange one I posted a few years ago that was identified by Dr. Bruce Lieberman of U Kansas as a possible organic form or mineral stain.  You might also want to reach out to Dr. Lieberman with your photos for possible ID.

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Mother Nature was still trying to sort out the sustainable from the unsustainable organic life forms. 

Isn´t she still doing that? Though many of the forms we call unsustainable in hindsight have endured longer than we have up to now.

Concerning the fossil, it is very clearly part and counterpart matching spot for spot, I first thought you just put them next to each other for the foto. But did I understand you correctly that what we see in the pic is in one piece as found?

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

@EglFlyr1963  Can you post more photos of the item closeup’s top bottom sides please. I’m not saying it’s not a fossil trilobite or not until we get some better images. The chances that someone glued it and placed it there are well not really likely. I have personally found a trilobite specimen in an area that I have hunted a hundred times before with two other forum members present.  I know of no other found there nor have I found anymore. Please shoot some new photos when you have a chance especially that middle line that looks like grout material thanks.

7 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Isn´t she still doing that? Though many of the forms we call unsustainable in hindsight have endured longer than we have up to now.

Concerning the fossil, it is very clearly part and counterpart matching spot for spot, I first thought you just put them next to each other for the foto. But did I understand you correctly that what we see in the pic is in one piece as found?

Best Regards,

J

You are absolutely correct, part and counterpart after splitting the rock.

1 minute ago, EglFlyr1963 said:

You qre absolutely correct,part and counterpart after splitting the rock.

Can you elaborate with more details?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Sorry if I am slow, but english is not my first language. But I think there has been a misunderstanding about the phrase "out of the ground like this".

Nothing has been glued, you found the slab, split it yourself and put both halves next to each other for the foto, right?

I have no idea if this is part of a huge trilo, but the main bilateral symmetry we see in the pic is just the two split halves next to each other.

So, What do we see in each half? The "Gills" may be the always famous hackle fringes or similar.

best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 11:21 AM, EglFlyr1963 said:

20221006_134721.thumb.jpg.eddf87bc7e00c0717cea076e4c83e279.jpg

If one enlarges the photo and look at the upper left, above the "cephalon", the same pattern exists as is shown on the specimen. This is confusing to me and makes me wonder if this is not a fossil.