Fullux

I'm thinking of buying this tooth but I'm not sure what it is. it was described as a mosasaur tooth but the grooves say otherwise. It looks like a brachauchenius to me but I'm not sure.

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l400 (21).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Edited by Fullux
  • I found this Informative 1

Where was this piece found? I see you have Khouribga in the tags, but pliosaurs do not occur in the phosphates. Can you send more pictures are focused on the tooth? It looks like a crocodylomorph tooth crown, but more clear pictures may help nail down the ID. 

• I Agree 2

I agree with @Troodon: the matrixat the base of the tooth looks more like what you'd find in the Kem Kem Group then in the Kem phosphates (where matrix is typically light yellow to grayish). This interpretation would make sense in terms of the tooth's morphology as well, which is indeed, as Trevor said, more crocodilian rather than either mosasaur or pliosaur (pliosaur teeth from Morocco are only known from the Akrabou Formation near Goulmima). Based on robustness and due to the faceting, I believe your tooth to be Elosuchus cherifiensis.

Hope this helps!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett