Coprolite identification

jnicholes

Hi everyone,

I am extremely sick today, so I decided to go through my fossils I found in Wyoming over the years while laying in bed.

While going through my fossils, I found a piece of large exposed Coprolite. I thought to myself, “I might as well try to extract it. I’ve got nothing else to do because I’m so sick.“

After about 10 minutes of working with it, I was able to extract it in one piece.

Then, it broke in my hand into two pieces. To my surprise, inside the Coprolite where it broke, there were bones. Looks like fish bones.

Whatever left this Coprolite behind may have been carnivorous.

This leads me to my question. Is there any way to tell what animal left this coprolite? If so, what animal left it behind?

Any help will be appreciated,

Jared

BE9D4A21-FC56-4C1B-94A2-47C5CEC4877F.jpeg

32BB3320-4816-4F9F-915D-974D24FDFA26.jpeg

E0426EBE-CBF6-4ADA-B3EE-4B8718D990BF.jpeg

I went to the doctor this morning. I had some problems last night. I’m on meds right now, hoping I feel better soon.

The doctor said it is likely not serious.

I would rather not go into details on the illness.

Anyway, I got some better pictures today. Here is the Coprolite under a magnifier. Much better pictures of the bones inside.

Disregard the unusual rock on the right. It’s just Travertine to hold the Coprolite up.

Here’s hoping we can figure this out and that I feel better soon.

Jared

6C095E50-6E90-487E-925E-758336FF0185.jpeg

203EFFA0-7C27-430C-AA07-196621AA9A3A.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Very good coprolite candidate there. Sadly, IDing the pooper is the great challenge. Your best bet is a guess based on the carnivores from that deposit of the appropriate size. But remember a large animal can make a very small turd (i.e., deer) but a small animal can not make a very large turd.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, Carl said:

Very good coprolite candidate there. Sadly, IDing the pooper is the great challenge. Your best bet is a guess based on the carnivores from that deposit of the appropriate size. But remember a large animal can make a very small turd (i.e., deer) but a small animal can not make a very large turd.

I understand. It was worth a try, though.

• Enjoyed 1

There are quarries in the Green River lake deposits that are more often thought to produce fossils washed in by rivers. If the source could be identified the relative probability of it being a forest dwelling animal may be suggested.

Edit I would include otter like animals as forest dwellers.

Edited by Rockwood

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

There are quarries in the Green River lake deposits that are more often thought to produce fossils washed in by rivers. If the source could be identified the relative probability of it being a forest dwelling animal may be suggested.

Edit I would include otter like animals as forest dwellers.

I have a site in the Bridger Fm, same age as the Green River and from the same place that has a LOT of fish bones and one or two mammal fossils for every thousand fish pieces.  It also has a lot of coprolites that look very much like this one.  The abundance of both coprolites and fish bones suggests to me that the coprolites are more likely fish than mammal or croc or turtle.  I think this is a fish poop.  (I sent gueshwhat a sample a while ago... we haven't seen her in a while). 

Thanks for getting back. No offense, but isn’t it a little large to be Fish Coprolite?

Then again, I’m not a Coprolite expert. I don’t know.

Speaking of rocks, I figured out what my illness is.

Kidney stones.

It’s really bad, not just because of the pain. Waterfowl season opens in two days. I really don’t want to miss opening day.

31 minutes ago, jpc said:

The abundance of both coprolites and fish bones suggests to me that the coprolites are more likely fish than mammal or croc or turtle.  

Or the place may have been just a sweet spot for turd preservation. Is there a fish that squirts out this shape ?