Trilobite, petrified wood, or just a weird rock?

AJMAC

Hello! New member here. I’m not much of a fossil collector but I have a few I’ve found myself; mostly petrified wood. At a recent gem/mineral/fossil show I won a silent auction lot that had two pieces in it. The main one was a nice branch segment and the second was an odd shaped rock (pictures below). The lot had a piece of paper that just said “petrified wood”. My bid won. No idea where the rock came from originally as it was donated by someone. The second piece doesn’t look like any petrified wood I’ve ever seen. I’m hoping someone can tell me something about what it might be.

Thanks!

833B1B3F-5ECC-429F-B363-75F7BBE460ED.jpeg

D6892B90-EB74-450A-AA8A-6C92F4F8F674.jpeg

EAF0DA34-E91F-4B0B-BAB1-1F18DEDCC682.jpeg

68D03DC8-15B5-4438-B387-AF91682962A2.jpeg

I know this is wrong but it sure looks like an internal cast of an ammonite, but maybe odd banded chert?  Definitely doesn't look like wood to me.

• I Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

I know this is wrong but it sure looks like an internal cast of an ammonite, but maybe odd banded chert?  Definitely doesn't look like wood to me.

Thanks for looking. I see where you’re coming from, but I compared it to a lot of pictures of ammonites and cherts on Google and it didn’t really match up with either. I can’t believe anyone thought it was petrified wood; perhaps it got put into the lot by accident. 

The wood guess might have come from the color.  I've seen banded flint that looked similar, curious what the experts will say but not many around tonight.

banded-flint-dorling-kindersleyuig.jpg

50 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Artesia may have been the target. I'm not convinced it was a hit though.

So what is it then?

10 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Couldn't have said it better. Exactly what I was thinking.

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Carl said:

Couldn't have said it better. Exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks for looking everyone. Lone Hunter - have more confidence in your skills. :-)  After looking and thinking, I can see how this could be part of a ammonite. As a newbie, I am a bit slow but that is why I am here. I appreciate everyone’s help.