Claw from Morocco

Cris Tang

Hi everyone,

I saw a claw from the internet.

But I never see something like it.

May I know that is fake or real, please?

Thank you

FD5CFE61-79CE-435B-8436-E4D709538EDF.jpeg

BB7FD35A-6B02-46C0-B835-E791E0F71AA9.jpeg

A4FE8B94-3A4F-4A27-9970-93AAB5DFF61D.jpeg

81CB26BB-7FD7-4091-9D80-B3C8342CE8FB.jpeg

A1F1A031-36A5-4642-A272-06FE32DA4F2D.jpeg

Hi Chris,

There might be some real parts to this claw, but I see allot of parts that should look different. I have marked the biggest red flag for me. This vertical line should not be there, and its either some part of the claw and the other parts are filler, or worst case its a composite with other parts of bone. It looks like it has not got the best preservation

Better resolution photos would also help out allot, so we could see the bone structure

Its unusual from my experience that they forge these small Moroccan claws, usually they're much bigger and listed as Spinosaurus. So that makes it sort of interesting 

(these is my opinion on it) good luck ! 

A1F1A031-36A5-4642-A272-06FE32DA4F2D.jpeg.d49d69f06ff22b57d5a46b14892de017.jpeg

looks like a mixture of bones and filling-material

check the fine-structure on the surface, this helps to decide if it is carved bone or claw-surface

In my opinion it is bone or claw (30 - 50%) and filler. But, sometimes in morocco the paste everthing in superglue..., so it might be that there are bones under the "filler".

I add two pics, blue lines let me think...

claw2.jpg.308e5680ad1b29e46acb93654a079796.jpgclaw1.jpg.e02990e7e8c92e44b8bede63d56d4405.jpg

Edited by rocket

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Did the seller provide any additional provenance beyond it from morocco?

No, he didn't

Why consider a claw if you do not have a provenance on it.   You will never be able to identify it?   Locality/Formation is the most important item you need with any dinosaur material.

I believe the claw is real and from a theropod.    The claw has lost most of its skin and what you may be seeing is just matrix and poor preservation other than the tip which looks like it may have been tampered.    Like others have said you really need higher definition photos to really get a good view of the surface.   

• I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

Why consider a claw if you do not have a provenance on it.   You will never be able to identify it?   Locality/Formation is the most important item you need with any dinosaur material.

I believe the claw is real and from a theropod.    The claw has lost most of its skin and what you may be seeing is just matrix and poor preservation other than the tip which looks like it may have been tampered.    Like others have said you really need higher definition photos to really get a good view of the surface.   

definitely, but when you buy some from NWA often you do not know where it really comes from... I think, incomplete claws are always hard to identify.

Let´s wait for better pics, I have had several claws from NWA (original and artwork) and am really not sure if this one is an original one 

11 minutes ago, rocket said:

buy some from NWA often you do not know where it really comes from...

Not the case here.

I have a pretty extensive dinosaur collection from Morocco's  Bathonian, Berriasian, Cenomanian and Maastrichtian age.  A good number are indeterminate specimens but with the age and locality/formation known for ever item, I know that someday they may be described.  Also when I decide to let these specimens go it will be a lot easier with a complete provenance.  

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Not the case here.

I have a pretty extensive dinosaur collection from Morocco's  Bathonian, Berriasian, Cenomanian and Maastrichtian age.  A good number are indeterminate specimens but with the age and locality/formation known for ever item, I know that someday they may be described.  Also when I decide to let these specimens go it will be a lot easier with a complete provenance.  

always the best to have all details with the claws and bones. Morocco has so wonderful fossil dinosaur material, wow. And, looks like every year new sites and material comes up... 

12 hours ago, rocket said:

definitely, but when you buy some from NWA often you do not know where it really comes from... I think, incomplete claws are always hard to identify.

Let´s wait for better pics, I have had several claws from NWA (original and artwork) and am really not sure if this one is an original one 

May I know what’s the meaning of ‘’NWA’’, please? Thank you

1 hour ago, Cris Tang said:

May I know what’s the meaning of ‘’NWA’’, please? Thank you

Sorry, NWA is "North West Africa", we use it in Europe and I thought it is a short Name used all over the world

One more thing: Can you try to get UV light pictures ? These can help in this case.

I also believe its real , but not in the best condition , still interesting. 

• I Agree 2

On 10/19/2022 at 4:57 PM, rocket said:

Sorry, NWA is "North West Africa", we use it in Europe and I thought it is a short Name used all over the world

Haha!!! 
Sorry, we just use"Africa" and "South Africa" in Hong Kong.

Thank you for your knowledge.

• Enjoyed 1

On 10/19/2022 at 5:15 PM, Phos_01 said:

One more thing: Can you try to get UV light pictures ? These can help in this case.

I also believe its real , but not in the best condition , still interesting. 

After all you guys's opinion, I believe that's a real and bad condition claw.

But I'm only interesting in the quaity that is well above average.

So, I will not ask for the UV light picure.

I afaird that the seller will think that I want to buy it.

• Thank You 1