Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nicholas

Looking For Sites.

Guest Nicholas

I'm going to be in IN in a few weeks, I'm going to be hunting quite a bit with the wife(sacredsin). She and I want to find some good outcrop sites. This will be my first hunt in the US and her very first hunt ever so I want it to be good. I'll be in IN right on the KY border about 5 minutes outside of Louisville. We're looking for some areas that aren't too far away within an hour each way and are pretty rich. Please help. :P

Guest solius symbiosus

I'll PM you some decent sites in Louisville tomorrow. A few miles N of the river you start running into till, so the best hunting is S of the Ohio R.

Rain1950

This should be what you need:

Indiana

Guest Nicholas

Thanks for the help guys, this will be Sacredsin's first hunt. I want it to be memorable and enjoyable for her. It will also be the first hunt (if I am lucky) I will actually find something. End my 2 year bad hunting streak.

Guest Nicholas

Just another quick post, I know it is something to hunt an area but it helps to know what your looking for. I've done some research and I've had some conversations and I've been told to expect:

Horn Coral

Brachiopods

Crinoids

Various fossil shells

and if I'm lucky Trilobites

Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Guest solius symbiosus

Pretty much any outcrop encountered will produce. There are some shale beds that are sparsely fossiliferous, but generally they are associated with limestone that is heavily fossiliferous.

There are some black shales(New Albany Shale) that rarely produce anything.

Check your PMs

Guest Nicholas
Pretty much any outcrop encountered will produce. There are some shale beds that are sparsely fossiliferous, but generally they are associated with limestone that is heavily fossiliferous.

There are some black shales(New Albany Shale) that rarely produce anything.

Check your PMs

I got your PM, and I just wanted to thank you again. You've been a wonderful help.

MikeD

I can give you a couple of places to look around Taylorsville, KY for brachiopods, possibly coral, an occasional cephalopod, and other various shells. I will PM you with the details. I haven't been there in a few years, but as solius said, pretty much any outcrop will produce.