nelly

I have found, what I believe to be a fossilised vertebra, and would like any advice on what species it could be and how old it may be.

The item was found along a riverbank.  It has a surprising weight for it's size - I can record the exact weight with electronic scales within the next 24 hours.  The object appears to be of white bone with a red/iron marrow present through the centre.  There are crystals in the recesses which sparkle when the light hits it and when it is wet. The top and bottom of the item are very smooth.

The specimen has been washed with warm water and a toothbrush. It ts extremely tactile, a pleasure to hold!  I didn't want to put it down until I decided to keep it in a resealable plastic bag.

I have some pictures which I will enclose (the sun was setting and so there are long shadows cast - magnify the images for better clarity) - I am a novice photographer!  I also have a short video which could be sent via WhatsApp.

I have contacted my local museum and left a voice message - the museum closed for refurbishment for 2 years about a week ago!

28E3845C-E143-424C-8151-BE4144C0EFDD.jpeg

61015F7D-95E4-4DB0-AA90-43532CA857D9.jpeg

736AF303-63DC-4CD8-A2DE-373574CEE640.jpeg

2A00EF45-BD5C-41A9-9392-C181DA3F6908.jpeg

Edited by nelly
spelling mistake

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Judging from the texture of the specimen, it is most probably a piece of quartz, probably from a quartz vein. But I can see your point. It very vaguely resembles a vertebra. But it is not one, its a piece of inorganically formed quartz.

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 5

8 minutes ago, nelly said:

I really enjoy the funny face!

Ok, got it! Petrified troll :D:heartylaugh:!

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1