Flintstones Bowling Ball

tperry

That is a weird one.  If you ever come through Casper, feel free to bring it by the Tate Museum and we can have a look at it in person.  (Clsoed on Sundays).  No guarantees we can tell you what it is, but I would love to have a look at this thing. 

5 minutes ago, jpc said:

That is a weird one.  If you ever come through Casper, feel free to bring it by the Tate Museum and we can have a look at it in person.  (Clsoed on Sundays).  No guarantees we can tell you what it is, but I would love to have a look at this thing. 

The Tate Museum is a cool place, I will stop by the next time I am through Casper.  Thanks.

I wonder if the round cavities are in the interior and not just the outside. Can you take a loose piece off and see? All the cracks makes the piece look very weak in strength. If bubbles in center, could this be a piece of man made material such as plaster? Could this be an actual core of a bowling ball with 3 finger holes. Do the 3 large holes seem to be the right size and placement for a bowling ball? Is the overall size slightly smaller than a bowling ball without a hard cover?

B05A6F52-92DE-47A9-9303-0AD93902CDEE.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

12 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Could this be an actual core of a bowling ball with 3 finger holes.

3 ? What about the other side ?

28 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

3 ? What about the other side ?

Please expand your questions so I can try to understand them and give an answer.

• I Agree 1

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

38 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Please expand your questions so I can try to understand them and give an answer.

Why would the three holes be explained in a different way then the multiple holes of varying size on the other side of the object ?

19 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Why would the three holes be explained in a different way then the multiple holes of varying size on the other side of the object ?

If this is a bowling ball core, the man-made material had lots of small bubbles in it. I suspect that some holes are fully contained in the interior. The OP will have to break off a piece and show us. After a hard exterior was made, 3 holes were drilled for fingers. Those 3 holes look too uniform in size and shape and unusually placed to be natural.

The multiple cracks don’t look natural to be in a real rock. The material looks too weak to have been bored by bivalves. It looks like a man-made material that was emplaced as a liquid then cracked.

To the OP, will a metal knife easily carve the material? Are there bubbles in the interior that are not connected to the exterior? You might have to break off a small piece. Will the material burn or melt?

7C7B1970-ECBC-4AC8-AE24-2783B4BD99B5.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

Just now, DPS Ammonite said:

If this is a bowling ball core, the man-made material had lots of small bubbles in it. I suspect that some holes are fully contained in the interior. The OP will have to break off a piece and show us. After a hard exterior was made, 3 holes were drilled for fingers. Those 3 holes look too uniform in size and shape and unusually placed to be natural.

The multiple cracks don’t look natural to be in a real rock. The material looks too weak to have been bored by bivalves. It looks like a man-made material that was emplaced as a liquid then cracked.

To the OP, will a metal knife easily carve the material? Are there bubbles in the interior that are not connected to the exterior? You might have to break off a small piece.

The piece is pretty intact, no loose pieces to pull off without taking a lot apart which I'm hesitant to do until I have a better idea of what it is.

I can shave it with a knife, it's less rock-like and feels smooth and soft like driftwood might. Shaves off in curled pieces like wood would do.

It does look like tons of micro bubbles are formed inside from shaving some off.

KIMG2390.JPG

KIMG2391.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Definitely man-made. Looks like plastic. Do the flakes burn or melt?

Edited by DPS Ammonite

2 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Definitely man-made. Do the flakes burn or melt?

Ok, so it burns, not easily but does, and smells like plastic burning, so resin possibly?  

Just now, tperry said:

Ok, so it burns, not easily but does, and smells like plastic burning, so resin possibly?  

Do the finger holes fit and seem to be in the right place. I think you were right when you put bowling ball in the thread’s title.

Do the finger holes fit and seem to be in the right place. I think you were right when you put bowling ball in the thread’s title.

They seem in the right place for a much smaller handed person than myself.  would anyone have any kind of idea of how to follow up on this, in terms of aging it?

1 minute ago, tperry said:

They seem in the right place for a much smaller handed person than myself.  would anyone have any kind of idea of how to follow up on this, in terms of aging it?

Contact a bowling ball manufacturer or a bowling alley.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

Contact a bowling ball manufacturer or a bowling alley.

Thanks, I found a bowling museum, seems like a good place to start.  Thanks for entertaining my thread everyone.

6 minutes ago, tperry said:

Thanks, I found a bowling museum, seems like a good place to start.  Thanks for entertaining my thread everyone.

Fred’s bowling ball would have been made from real stone.

• Enjoyed 4

Fun read this thread.  Should have left it as Freds bowling ball.  More interesting that way.  Yabba dabba do

RB

• Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Fun read this thread.  Should have left it as Freds bowling ball.  More interesting that way.  Yabba dabba do

RB

:default_rofl:Now all we need is a Pick-a-nick basket for Yogi. Hello to you too Booboo.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/