Megalodon Root

Tales From the Shale

Its to my understanding that many Megalodon teeth come with Unfortunate modifications, in order to artificially boost price. My question on thus particular tooth is, does the root look reconstructed, or does it appear to be unmodified? 

Screenshot_20221023-212413~2.png

Screenshot_20221023-212432~2.png

I'll post more pictures if everything checks out.

More pictures would be great - but as far as I can tell... something looks a little off about the root. The second picture, on the right side, the "root" comes over the blade, which... doesn't happen. That being said - this looks like an Indo Meg, which means that they usually have to carve the root out of the sandstone the tooth is found in, which can lead to that, I guess. 

• Thank You 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

3 hours ago, Tales From the Shale said:

I'll post more pictures if everything checks out.

If you do, please crop them to remove information identifying the listing.  Your previous photos have been edited.  Thanks.  ;)

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Do you have location information for this tooth? It appears to be from Indonesia, based on the preservation. A lot of times with Indonesian teeth, the roots do not preserve well in the original matrix. Most teeth you see on the market have roots that are composed of both the original matrix and eroded root material.

Here is an informative post by user @aeon.rocks which details this further:

• Thank You 1

16 hours ago, Meganeura said:

More pictures would be great - but as far as I can tell... something looks a little off about the root. The second picture, on the right side, the "root" comes over the blade, which... doesn't happen. That being said - this looks like an Indo Meg, which means that they usually have to carve the root out of the sandstone the tooth is found in, which can lead to that, I guess. 

Yes I will grab some side photos of the listing. I'd rather be careful, I have a few Meg teeth but this one looked off to me. Thanks

Here are some more images from the listing. I'll see if the seller will offer up some more.Screenshot_20221024-102031_Opera.thumb.jpg.6ecb4f9734a73e56fed7e592966b8b3b.jpgScreenshot_20221024-102045_Opera.thumb.jpg.ea059575ef9dc42935d36b8b7bcf50a5.jpg

10 hours ago, Meatasaurus93 said:

Do you have location information for this tooth? It appears to be from Indonesia, based on the preservation. A lot of times with Indonesian teeth, the roots do not preserve well in the original matrix. Most teeth you see on the market have roots that are composed of both the original matrix and eroded root material.

Here is an informative post by user @aeon.rocks which details this further:

This tooth does come from Indonesia. It supposedly measures 6 inches, however the reason I posted it here was to get some advice from people who know more than I do. 

Hello my opinion this root has restoration on the left upper corner (1th picture) and right corner 2th picture, if not complete

This is very common, almost all Indonesian tooth have enhanced, restored , or fake roots 

This root looks ok, decorative, to bad of that one ship in the blade . 

It all depends on how much you like the tooth to engage 

• I Agree 1

It's very hard to definitively try to ID resto on roots with photos, why the best strategy is hand examination with a UV light.   If that not possible buying from a source that will provide you a complete refund if the tooth does not meet your expectations is a must.  You can then examine it with a UV light.   There are sellers out there that have done all of this and can tell you exactly what you are buying but the teeth are typically priced much higher.    There are Indonesian roots without resto.

On the surface these areas are red flags.

1666718031751.jpg.a023e9d443e6118794119100a230ade4.jpg

• I Agree 1