Cretaceous crinoid columnal?

Lone Hunter

Found this hunting new place at Woodbine/Grayson contact, there it was nestled in the lower layer of grey-blue marl sporting the same color. Last time I checked there weren't crinoids in Grayson, so how did it get there?   Have only a handful of fossils this color from there including this bivalve I can't ID, or is it a brachiopod?

IMG_20221019_044313617~2.jpg

IMG_20221023_054725582~2.jpg

IMG_20221019_045334280~2.jpg

IMG_20221019_045117659~2.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Crinoid columnal is alien. I bet is was not part of the Cretaceous formations and just loosely “nestled.” Many spots in North Texas have Paleozoic rocks in them thanks to fossil collectors and those wanting competent rocks for building. A search on Mindat will reveal Paleozoic fossils in most rivers in the Dallas area including the Trinity Forks and NSR.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I Agree 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Look at Pholadomya or Panopea for the bivalve 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

I am quite used to finding Paleo rocks with crinoids in creeks around here, but I can't account for how this ended up in this place.  There is no water source nearby, the hill is freshly exposed with no sign of people having poked around, and this was in the only dark grey layer which happens to match the color of columnal. There was also an imprint of it where I plucked it from marl on side of hill. 

4 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

There is no water source nearby,

This may not have always been true. I'm thinking possibly it was in a remnant of lag deposit from a time when water did drain through there.