Sea shell fossils

Davit Cuedari

I have been having this fossil since when I was a kid. I found it in a very remote place.  On top of a very tall mountin 2400 m above sea level Tomorri Mountain National Park city of Berat, Albania. What this sea shell fossil is doing here, I kept asking myself and locals for years and I have heard stories that other people have found sea shell fossils as well.

For the very first time after 20 years of having this fossil I am sharing with you all. When I moved to NY in 2016 I brought it with me as my treasure haha. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Davit Cuedari

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

3 hours ago, Davit Cuedari said:

What this sea shell fossil is doing here,

These sea shells (could be some kind of pectinid bivalves?) are indicating, that this rock formed at or below sea level. Tectonic forces, also called mountain building processes, pushed the rocks up to the height were you found them.

Mount Tomorri seems to be composed of rocks from the Cretaceous to the Eocene, mostly limestone, but also clastic (sandstone etc.) sediments.

This work seems a little bit heavy, but it might also spark some memories, and contains loooots of nice photos:

Geomonuments in Albania (link to pdf, in English)

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 2

I sometimes wonder if in ancient days, discoveries like yours helped reinforce the oral histories that gave rise to stories like that of Noah and the Flood (which "covered all the world")

• I Agree 1

9 hours ago, SteveE said:

I sometimes wonder if in ancient days, discoveries like yours helped reinforce the oral histories that gave rise to stories like that of Noah and the Flood (which "covered all the world")

Sure! Shells of sea creatures on mountain tops were considered as direct evidence for the Flood. The story is already told, and what else could these shells indicate? Completely logical.

Franz Bernhard

On 29/10/2022 at 13:39, SteveE said:

A veces me pregunto si en la antigüedad, descubrimientos como el suyo ayudaron a reforzar las historias orales que dieron lugar a historias como la de Noé y el Diluvio (que "cubrió todo el mundo").

I had never thought of that without a doubt it is very likely that it influenced the story of the flood. A long time ago I don't remember where but I read that the fossils of some animals could inspire many things about mythology in ancient times

• Enjoyed 1

On 11/1/2022 at 2:08 PM, joaoarguello3 said:

I had never thought of that without a doubt it is very likely that it influenced the story of the flood. A long time ago I don't remember where but I read that the fossils of some animals could inspire many things about mythology in ancient times

Abdolutely on this last point.  

• I Agree 1