these ammonites are carved?

joaoarguello3

Hello everyone, I have a question that only you can clarify. Recently I was looking at ammonites on various online sales sites, and I was looking at several to buy soon, but several Mantelliceras appeared that seemed to have carved their center; is this really so or not? I leave two photos of two different cases, but it seemed to me that most Mantelliceras in online sales are carved in their central part. I'm just starting out in this collection and I want to learn how to identify these cases before I start acquiring more fossils and not make mistakes. I clarify that I have no interest in the published pieces, they only call my attention and I just want to clarify my doubts. Thank you

s-l1600.jpg

mantelliceras costillas internas talladas.jpg

In the second one, even the outermost whorl shows signs of heavy prepping / carving. There might be a very thin line between prepping and carving in this type of ammonites (very weakly developed separation layer).

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 6

Don’t buy these from morocco most are heavily carved or restored. 
I also doubt the identification correctly too. 
i would keep looking online there are many sites offering very good and genuine ammonites. Problem is that the more prep work goes into an item the more it will cost. So if you are looking for a large ammonite it will cost you. 

• I Agree 2