Royal peacock opal mine

Hi,

as has been stated in your other post, pigs proper (suidae) arived in the Americas just lately, while peccaries (Tayasuidae) joined the GABI to arrive from south america 3 million years ago, also after the miocene.

I can not say what you have there (besides some really cool fossils), but with the preservation of the tooth, someone on the forum will be able to tell.

@Harry Pristis perhaps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_American_Interchange

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Hello, and Thank you for all the links been a pleasure jumping into some rabbit holes.
I don’t have any dimensions at this time. But I sure will get someASAP, might not be very soon, but I’ll have a better camera. 

I don't personally think it's a peccary jaw. Instead I think it's more likely to be a camel or perhaps a ruminant (although I'm not as familiar with the artiodactyls of the miocene). The teeth preserved in the jaw section remind me of the premolars I've seen on the jaws of modern white tailed deer, but I don't know if ever seen material from miocene cervids online or firsthand.

Hemiauchenia macrocephala – Florida Vertebrate Fossils

Hemiauchenia (extinct llama) jaw from the University of Florida's collection, not a perfect match to your specimen but the slenderness is more similar. 

Old species in new places: First report of prehistoric peccaries from the  Gray Fossil Site, Tennessee. | Gray Fossil Site and Museum

An example of a peccary jaw from the Gray Site in Tennessee.

peccary Mylohyus - Members Gallery - The Fossil Forum

A view of the chewing surface of a Florida peccary dentary provided by @Harry Pristis 

A cool find regardless of identity, your mine is certainly a spot I'd like to try my hand at hunting someday!

• I found this Informative 1

Oxydactylus wyomingensis fossil camel (Harrison Formation,… | Flickr

found this pic of a skull online, labelled Oxydactylus wyomingensis, its from a small miocene camel. However, I hesitate to call yours a camel due to the presence of the canine teeth. If your specimen was complete it may preserve them, but it looks more like the gap between the incisors and premolars would lack canines in life. 

The toe bones look like equus or pre-equus to me. I don't believe this is camelid.

Edited by Brandy Cole
For clarity
  • Thank You 1

Thank you very much good stuff!!! 
Looks like ruminant, artiodactyls might be the best fit. Didn’t think deer and antelope were around then. there has never been horns or antlers found but like I said 001% hasn’t been touched (or so they say) so who knows what could be buried and the time table says they were around. Very interesting.

It does look like there’s a slot for something on the end of the jaw. What could that be for? Tusk? Something for cutting vegetation or digging up root balls? Or that’s where the ivory was?  Some have said horses. Did horses have tusk like things back then?

@Royal peacock opal mine

I should clarify that when I said it looks to be horse instead of camel, I was talking about the foot bones in your second picture, not the jaw.  Originally I was thinking they looked stouter than deer, but after more thought, I believe they may be deer, since deer would have the two sets of foot bone parallel like your example. 

Having measurements in your photographs that show dimensions would be helpful.

For the jaw, you may want to compare it to the deer jaw in the example provided by @Harry Pristis in this thread.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/72327-is-this-fossil-or-modern-is-it-a-deer-jaw/

@Brandy Cole measurements would be good. I will have them hopefully by the end of next week. 
I like the deer thing better. I was always told the horses had three toes, only thing that has that structure today are rhinos from my understanding. Hard to wrap my head around all the information, an the many millions/billions of years that life has survive/thrived 

• I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Royal peacock opal mine said:

I like the deer thing better. I was always told the horses had three toes, only thing that has that structure today are rhinos from my understanding. Hard to wrap my head around all the information, an the many millions/billions of years that life has survive/thrived 

Tapirs are the only other uneven toed ungulates except Horses and Rhinos alive today. They used to be more diverse.

But uneven is the keyword, your find is even-toed, as mentioned before (still dont know about the mandible).

Yeah, natural history can blow ones mind. As Horses are among the animals we are most used to seeing, we normally do not apreciate how strange it really is that they run on just one digit per leg.

I am reading "The rise and reign of the mammals" by Steve Brusatte at the moment, great book, good balance between scientific acuracy and readability.

Cheers,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

@Mahnmut wow! I didn’t even know a tapir existed. Probably have seen them on TV or in a book a time or two before but mistook them for anteaters. Speaking of books thanks for recommending this one already purchased it.