Mississippian Rugosa Coral to ID

minnbuckeye

A new coral was found when geode hunting in NE Missouri. Likely Warsaw Formation, maybe Keokuk. In either case it is Mississippian. I am leaning towards an ID of Acrocyathus floriformis, a colonial rugosa known to occur in the Mississippian. But I prefer that coral experts chime in before I label it!!!    @TqB

Thanks

Mike

DSC_0442-001.thumb.JPG.c1ab2be66156b493fae813b01513c6c9.JPG

DSC_0443-001.thumb.JPG.3a5334c77e5d61d8b82c4a9f0afb6c10.JPG

DSC_0444-001.thumb.JPG.813f00e59071c859d0d798e7eacffe76.JPG

DSC_0446-001.thumb.JPG.eee440d3ffa340e6ba6346189e19a72d.JPG

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • Enjoyed 3

I’d agree as well. Looks like the Acrocyathus I find in the early Carboniferous (Mississippian) of Kentucky. The cerioid form would put it as A. floriformis.  Nice example. 

I think it is fitting that you found it in Missouri, since it is considered a guide fossil for finding the formation know as the “St. Louis Limestone” here in Kentucky. ;) 

This post of mine may help for comparison photos and links to a couple of papers regarding Acrocyathus

Edited by FossilNerd
  • Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Strictly speaking, you'd need sections to confirm the ID and I can't clearly see the lonsdaleoid dissepiments that Acrocyathus usually shows. It's still the most likely though. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tarquin

18 minutes ago, TqB said:

Strictly speaking, you'd need sections to confirm the ID and I can't clearly see the lonsdaleoid dissepiments that Acrocyathus usually shows. It's still the most likely though. 

You are right, of course. :) 

Sections would be needed to confirm the ID.

Corals are silly that way with their need for sections and acid peels. As if they are too fancy for simpler methods. So posh! :heartylaugh:

Still, I also agree that Acrocyathus likely what this is.

• Thank You 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)