Shells?

ChrisSarahRox

Some sort of scallop/Pectinidae.

@PFOOLEY

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Could you be a little more specific about the locality?  Hidalgo County NM (which is in the southwestern corner for those not familiar with New Mexico) includes a number of small mountain ranges with sedimentary rocks from the Cambrian, Ordovician, possibly a tiny bit of virtually unfossiliferous Silurian, Devonian, Mississippian, Pennsylvanian, Permian, Cretaceous (Cenomanian and Turonian marine rocks), maybe some Upper Cretaceous terrestrial deposits (McRae Formation?), and some Pliocene/Pleistocene river deposits with rare terrestrial vertebrates.  The sedimentary rocks are in small patches, bounded by faults, surrounded by more abundant igneous rocks.  I have collected here and there in the county, but I have not seen or read about anything consistent with your fossils.  I'd also (like you) be curious to learn more about them.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

On 10/27/2022 at 9:35 AM, FossilDAWG said:

Could you be a little more specific about the locality?  Hidalgo County NM (which is in the southwestern corner for those not familiar with New Mexico) includes a number of small mountain ranges with sedimentary rocks from the Cambrian, Ordovician, possibly a tiny bit of virtually unfossiliferous Silurian, Devonian, Mississippian, Pennsylvanian, Permian, Cretaceous (Cenomanian and Turonian marine rocks), maybe some Upper Cretaceous terrestrial deposits (McRae Formation?), and some Pliocene/Pleistocene river deposits with rare terrestrial vertebrates.  The sedimentary rocks are in small patches, bounded by faults, surrounded by more abundant igneous rocks.  I have collected here and there in the county, but I have not seen or read about anything consistent with your fossils.  I'd also (like you) be curious to learn more about them.

Don

Hello Don, the area in question is just north of an old mining town called Palayas and south of the Mimbres Valley and west of The Tres Ermanas Mountains (the three sisters) and the areas main geology is from the Maastrichtian epoch from what I have researched. You are correct in the general locality. I am not able to give you any other (educated) information unfortunately. Since you have collected here in this county , I'm sure you have witnessed the dichotomy and beautiful geology of the area. Personally speaking, I find many of my rocks enigmatic however that is to the untrained eye, but unfortunately I have yet to post one on this forum that has been deemed a "fossil" with certainty.  With that being said, I would be more than proud to show you rocks I have found in greater detail if you wish as I would be very eager to learn from you.