Is this shell really old? Or maybe not? (2)

Malach

• Malach changed the title to Is this shell really old? Or maybe not? (2)

This looks like it could possibly be a fossil bivalve.  Bivalves have been around for about 500 million years.

But as @Ludwigia said, it could also be modern.

Posting the general location where you found something and providing several pictures in bright light that show detail can be very helpful in narrowing things down.

• I Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Brandy Cole said:

This looks like it could possibly be a fossil bivalve.  Bivalves have been around for about 500 million years.

But as @Ludwigia said, it could also be modern.

Posting the general location where you found something and providing several pictures in bright light that show detail can be very helpful in narrowing things down.

I hope these will help, I found it at Anyer beach, Indonesia, size around 2 cm

IMG20221029205413.jpg

IMG20221029205419.jpg

Edited by Malach

Does Anyer Beach, Indonesia have any sedimentary rocks nearby that could erode fossils onto the beach?  If so, what age are the rocks?  Are fossils known from the area?  If not, then there is no reason to think that this shell and several others you have posted are not recent. 

Your shell is a member of the Family Pholadidae, a group of bivalves that bore their way into softer rock such as limestone, and wood.  They are very common in tropical Pacific waters.

As there are current, living reefs just offshore from Anyer Beach, it is likely recent.

Below is a photo of living specimens that have bored into wood

23750442343_a772a62f23_b.jpg

Edited by hemipristis
  • I found this Informative 2

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

4 hours ago, ClearLake said:

Does Anyer Beach, Indonesia have any sedimentary rocks nearby that could erode fossils onto the beach?  If so, what age are the rocks?  Are fossils known from the area?  If not, then there is no reason to think that this shell and several others you have posted are not recent. 

I found plenty of them (sedimentary) on my trip, but I have no idea how old they are, and there hasn't been any fossil research from that area