How to easily mark fossil locations/ walked trail/ photo location on digital maps?

Slow Walker

Is there a way to mark fossil locations on like Google my map easily? Maybe even add a photo which uses it's coordinates to place it self in the map at the right location. Or a map that auto tracks where you walk? I find way to much to manually track it all. Any suggestions is welcome, thanks. 

• I found this Informative 1

I find locations on Google maps and "Save" the pin.  You can save them in a few different categories, which changes the color of the pins.  So, places I tried but did not like are one color, places I haven't tried are another, and places I liked are saved as Favorites, which places a heart on the map.  If you have a smart phone on you while you walk, Google maps should be able to pick up where you are, and you just drop a pin there.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Here are screen shots of what I do.  

Click on the location on the map:

Screenshot_20221031-104911.thumb.png.a3beb9184c5b8d6b2d7dd28f41c1076c.png

And now you will see the Save button at the bottom.  Click it, and it will bring up the different categories:

Screenshot_20221031-104923.thumb.png.82ca09910e2bcc70d18c3dec84829f39.png

Click which list you want to save it in.  Some of the categories allow you to add notes on the location as well.

• I found this Informative 2

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

On 10/31/2022 at 9:53 AM, Fin Lover said:

Here are screen shots of what I do.  

Click on the location on the map:

Screenshot_20221031-104911.thumb.png.a3beb9184c5b8d6b2d7dd28f41c1076c.png

And now you will see the Save button at the bottom.  Click it, and it will bring up the different categories:

Screenshot_20221031-104923.thumb.png.82ca09910e2bcc70d18c3dec84829f39.png

Click which list you want to save it in.  Some of the categories allow you to add notes on the location as well.

Was looking for more automated way. When saved location it doesn't let me add photo. 

Use the "On X Hunt" phone app.  Has gps plotting, pin drops, path marking, you can write notes and ad pictures.

• Enjoyed 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

@Slow Walker

Have a look at this one LINK.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

22 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Use the "On X Hunt" phone app.  Has gps plotting, pin drops, path marking, you can write notes and ad pictures.

Have you used this? Will it put pin at location and easy to add photo? 

50 minutes ago, Slow Walker said:

Have you used this? Doesn't sound better than g My Maps

No, I haven't. 

Just something I found in a quick Google search.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

11 hours ago, Slow Walker said:

Have you used this? Will it put pin at location and easy to add photo? 

Yes, I use it all the time.  Its great for getting you back a spot, but dont expect it to be accurate to inches.  OnX and ROCKD are my 2 main prospecting apps

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

1 hour ago, hadrosauridae said:

Yes, I use it all the time.  Its great for getting you back a spot, but dont expect it to be accurate to inches.  OnX and ROCKD are my 2 main prospecting apps

Ok, how good is it for notes adding and pic adding? 

• 4 weeks later...

I use a combination of the App Theodolite and Google Earth to record locations. Theodolite records not just Lat & Long but also elevation.  But when I pin then sites on Google Maps later I don't get too worried about exactly where, say along a long road cut, I place the pin.  Google earth has a field you can fill with info and photos to keep notes.  Like everything else stored on these magic boxes(aka computers) I make a point of printing them out every so often and keep a hard copy. here is an example:2044622749_ScreenShot2021-05-31at11_44_58AM.thumb.png.ede846dde1a9259ddfcaec3464674905.png

• Enjoyed 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to use my phone camera to track the GPS locations of photos I take of original fossil in its situation but the problem I have is the GPS Coordinates are not very precise and sometimes can be tens of miles off.  It also doesn't work without a phone signal for some features which is common in areas, to not to have phone signal. 

The 2nd problem I have is when looking up the cords on a photo it shows a general map of the area but without features so can't tell exactly where it is and I'm not sure how to get the information off of the photo easily to pinpoint where it was taken.

What I would ideally want is a program that could keep track of where I'm walking and then when I take a photo immediately upload it with a pinpoint at that location with the cords and ability to also take some notes on that and then easily be able to look at this information later. 

3 hours ago, Slow Walker said:

What I would ideally want is a program that could keep track of where I'm walking and then when I take a photo immediately upload it with a pinpoint at that location with the cords and ability to also take some notes on that and then easily be able to look at this information later.

That does not sound too complicated or sophisticated. Problem is always the correct position. If GPS data are not accurate and precise enough, you have to adjust everything yourself.

On 11/27/2022 at 4:08 PM, erose said:

Google earth has a field you can fill with info and photos to keep notes.

Are you doing this on-site or at home?

I for myself are printing out relief maps for orientation, at home, I am putting in my track from memory. Sometimes, I am pinning locations on-site with a pen on the paper :D. Well, I am intermediate aged, but old-fashioned. Here is a finished example, "Abraham-S":

Abraham_Ost_09102022.thumb.jpg.3e238b7cfb6e65b3d3ee119f890d03f3.jpg

And an overview of this years prospections in the Kainach Gosau, size of squares is 2x2 km:

Kainach_Begehungen_bis_16102022.thumb.jpg.a4144a2d5dfa884e273feeb508e39baa.jpg

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

Hi,

I’m not going to do a lot of research, but if I continued and wanted to mark cards, as I am a runner, I have a sports GPS on my wrist that gives me back all my maps on the brand’s app or software. Sometimes I use it to look for orchids, and I point places that way. Afterwards, you can make a screenshot and save the image in a file, or even print it if necessary. You can enlarge or shrink the view, put it in road or satellite mode etc...

For example :

ubjibr.jpg

Coco

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

That does not sound too complicated or sophisticated. Problem is always the correct position. If GPS data are not accurate and precise enough, you have to adjust everything yourself.

Are you doing this on-site or at home?

I for myself are printing out relief maps for orientation, at home, I am putting in my track from memory. Sometimes, I am pinning locations on-site with a pen on the paper :D. Well, I am intermediate aged, but old-fashioned. Here is a finished example, "Abraham-S":

Abraham_Ost_09102022.thumb.jpg.3e238b7cfb6e65b3d3ee119f890d03f3.jpg

And an overview of this years prospections in the Kainach Gosau, size of squares is 2x2 km:

Kainach_Begehungen_bis_16102022.thumb.jpg.a4144a2d5dfa884e273feeb508e39baa.jpg

Franz Bernhard

I could probably recalculate the GPS if I knew it was having problems but sometimes I don't know it until after the day of trekking. I have been using Google my maps to mark where I walk and add photos and points of interest after the fact but the problem is I walk over tens of miles and there is hundreds of points of interest of fossils.  So I want to automate this process as much as possible.

3 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

I’m not going to do a lot of research, but if I continued and wanted to mark cards, as I am a runner, I have a sports GPS on my wrist that gives me back all my maps on the brand’s app or software. Sometimes I use it to look for orchids, and I point places that way. Afterwards, you can make a screenshot and save the image in a file, or even print it if necessary. You can enlarge or shrink the view, put it in road or satellite mode etc...

For example :

ubjibr.jpg

Coco

I'm sure there's a good app out there I'm just not able to find it. does the one that you have can go off roads and trails or does it just snap to nearby sidewalks can you also add points of interest and photos? Thanks

1 hour ago, Slow Walker said:

I walk over tens of miles and there is hundreds of points of interest of fossils.

1 hour ago, Slow Walker said:

does the one that you have can go off roads and trails or does it just snap to nearby sidewalks

Ok, you are running around in the wilderness, in contrast to @Coco and me. That´s a little bit different. Probably quite often a "featureless" area or features would appear similar on a relief map (if available)? So, good GPS data are really crucial for you.

Sorry, can not help any further with proper apps etc. Good luck!

Franz Bernhard

3 hours ago, Slow Walker said:

does the one that you have can go off roads and trails or does it just snap to nearby sidewalks can you also add points of interest and photos? Thanks

Here is the maximum magnification of the departure/arrival of my previous photo. The GPS works by satellite, so you can go to the trails, the forest and wherever you want as long as there’s a network. I went back through the gate, you can clearly see the two small towers on each side of the entrance and the few cars in the parking lot, although the photo may be 1 year old or more.

hv3wd2.jpg

I always have the possibility to compare a plot of one of my outputs with a map of G00gle Maps or other mapping site to place and record my interesting points. But everything is done manually.

If you’re interested, you should talk to a salesman at a sports store to see if their equipment matches what you want to do with it.

Coco

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I don't do anything more complicated than marking fossil sites with hearts. Future promising outcrops with the green flag feature, and just interesting locations with a star. I also name all locations based on the most prominent find, followed by the abbreviated age of strata. I.E:  O Trilobites (Ordovician trilobites)

2 hours ago, Tales From the Shale said:

I don't do anything more complicated than marking fossil sites with hearts. Future promising outcrops with the green flag feature, and just interesting locations with a star. I also name all locations based on the most prominent find, followed by the abbreviated age of strata. I.E:  O Trilobites (Ordovician trilobites)

That would work if I had cell service but often I don't. even the GPS seems poor with my location being miles off at times. 

At the moment I've been turning on my GPS  For my phone pictures and then taking several pictures. Seems like some of the pictures will have the correct GPS. One picture of the fossil up close for later id, then another picture of the surrounding area. then afterwards marking out my rough walking locations manually.

21 hours ago, Slow Walker said:

That would work if I had cell service but often I don't. even the GPS seems poor with my location being miles off at times. 

At the moment I've been turning on my GPS  For my phone pictures and then taking several pictures. Seems like some of the pictures will have the correct GPS. One picture of the fossil up close for later id, then another picture of the surrounding area. then afterwards marking out my rough walking locations manually.

Shoot most of my locations are within a highways sight range. For something more remote you may consider printing a county map and having the rough directions scribbled upon it. Maybe the roads taken and a rough location

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2022 at 10:42 PM, Slow Walker said:

I have been trying to use my phone camera to track the GPS locations of photos I take of original fossil in its situation but the problem I have is the GPS Coordinates are not very precise and sometimes can be tens of miles off.  It also doesn't work without a phone signal for some features which is common in areas, to not to have phone signal. 

The 2nd problem I have is when looking up the cords on a photo it shows a general map of the area but without features so can't tell exactly where it is and I'm not sure how to get the information off of the photo easily to pinpoint where it was taken.

I know this is an older thread but it's a topic I know a little about so I thought I would chip in with my three cents worth.  I've taught a number of classes on outdoor navigation using map, compass, and GPS.  One of the points I stress is that if you are going out into any kind of remote wilderness, you can't depend on a cell phone's GPS receiver to give you accurate location data.  The problem is that the cell phone's GPS receiver depends on being in contact with a cell tower to obtain the necessary orbital information of the GPS satellites.  If it has been in contact with a cell tower within the last few hours it can use the data it got at that time, as long as you haven't traveled too far from that location.  But if the data is more than a few hours old, the cell phone may calculate incorrect coordinates or not even be able to find its position.  What you really need is a true GPS receiver designed for outdoor use.  This kind of receiver doesn't need to contact a cell tower, it gets the orbital data directly from the satellites (this takes longer, which is why cell phone manufacturers don't like to do it). 

What @Slow Walker should consider doing is investing in an outdoor-oriented GPS receiver that includes a built-in camera.  That way you can take a picture of the exact fossil location and the GPS receiver will geotag it with exact GPS coordinates.  When you get home, you can even download the photo to Google Earth and it will be placed at those exact coordinates.  One example of a GPS receiver that can do this is the Garmin Montana 680.  It even includes a built-in topographic map, although it is a fairly small scale version and may not be sufficient for some work.  Note that I do not have any relationship with Garmin and I have to admit I have not used this receiver, but I have used other Garmin receivers and have always been impressed.

On 3/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, Sagebrush Steve said:

I know this is an older thread but it's a topic I know a little about so I thought I would chip in with my three cents worth.  I've taught a number of classes on outdoor navigation using map, compass, and GPS.  One of the points I stress is that if you are going out into any kind of remote wilderness, you can't depend on a cell phone's GPS receiver to give you accurate location data.  The problem is that the cell phone's GPS receiver depends on being in contact with a cell tower to obtain the necessary orbital information of the GPS satellites.  If it has been in contact with a cell tower within the last few hours it can use the data it got at that time, as long as you haven't traveled too far from that location.  But if the data is more than a few hours old, the cell phone may calculate incorrect coordinates or not even be able to find its position.  What you really need is a true GPS receiver designed for outdoor use.  This kind of receiver doesn't need to contact a cell tower, it gets the orbital data directly from the satellites (this takes longer, which is why cell phone manufacturers don't like to do it). 

What @Slow Walker should consider doing is investing in an outdoor-oriented GPS receiver that includes a built-in camera.  That way you can take a picture of the exact fossil location and the GPS receiver will geotag it with exact GPS coordinates.  When you get home, you can even download the photo to Google Earth and it will be placed at those exact coordinates.  One example of a GPS receiver that can do this is the Garmin Montana 680.  It even includes a built-in topographic map, although it is a fairly small scale version and may not be sufficient for some work.  Note that I do not have any relationship with Garmin and I have to admit I have not used this receiver, but I have used other Garmin receivers and have always been impressed.

Thanks for giving a detailed explanation of how the GPS on the phone works. I have a question when I turn  On my Airplane mode for the phone it doesn't receive cell service  Right? So how am I still able to get coordinates and update GPS to where I'm at when I have Airplane mode on and also shows I have no cellular service? So far I've been taking a photo of the point of interest and then a 4 directional pictures of the surrounding area but My current issue now is I have these images with coordinates but how do I easily display them on the Google map?  At the moment I can click on the images GPS Coordinates and it will pull up a map but the map doesn't have very much detail and isn't a satellite view it's also  Not easy to interact with. I would like to upload my images to something that can automatically put them at their corners and where I can add labels to them.  currently and manually doing it with my Google maps but it's really slow. 

The Google Earth that invention sounds more useful than the my google maps that I'm using.  Any advice would be great!