Did Tarbosaurus bataar have Stereopsis?

ChrisMouM

I have an interesting question when I read a paper (Hurum, Jørn H.; & Sabath, Karol. Giant theropod dinosaurs from Asia and North America: Skulls of Tarbosaurus bataar and Tyrannosaurus rex compared)

I only found that it was mentioned in the content, T.rex had stereoscopic vision(Stereopsis), but I did not find any description of the vision of Tarbosaurus.

Does anyone know that Tarbosaurus had stereovision?

If Yes or No, please explain the reasons and provide a paper to prove it.Please

Thanks guys.

have a lovely day

330px-Tarbosaurus_holotype_skull.jpg

Edited by ChrisMouM

One may exist but I have not seen any publication that examines the vision of Tarbosaurus.   A study would have to be be done to map the skull so without further research it would be difficult to prove to your satisfaction.

What I can add is that a study was done to examine binocular vision with a focus on Tyrannosaurids that included Tyrannosaurus, Nanotyrannus, Daspletosaurus etc but did not mention Tarbosaurus.  The attached paper does make the following comment " the coelurosaurs Daspletosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Nanotyrannus, Velociraptor, and Troodon had cranial designs that afforded binocular fields between 45–60° in width, similar to those of modern raptorial birds. " 

theropod_binocularvision.pdf

So if we compare the two skulls with an illustration from the paper you mentioned there are similarities and both are Tyrannosaurids.  Similarities continue if we look at other Tyrannosaurids in the last illustration I attached.  So without a study to confirm it I would think it would not be a large leap to conclude that Tarbosaurus most likely had binocular vision. 

Screenshot_20221030-024952_Drive.jpg.fcf7c50b0189c879cc139b6241d25b3d.jpg

Screenshot_20221030-025033_Drive.thumb.jpg.b375abeb963b194106b7d3e41c76aded.jpg

If you need additional proof let me suggest you contact you nearest museum, provide them funding and let them conduct a research project

• Enjoyed 2

20 minutes ago, Troodon said:

One may exist but I have not seen any publication that examines the vision of Tarbosaurus.   A study would have to be be done to map the skull so without further research it would be difficult to prove to your satisfaction.

What I can add is that a study was done to examine binocular vision with a focus on Tyrannosaurids that included Tyrannosaurus, Nanotyrannus, Daspletosaurus etc but did not mention Tarbosaurus.  The attached paper does make the following comment " the coelurosaurs Daspletosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Nanotyrannus, Velociraptor, and Troodon had cranial designs that afforded binocular fields between 45–60° in width, similar to those of modern raptorial birds. " 

theropod_binocularvision.pdf 1.22 MB · 2 downloads

So if we compare the two skulls with an illustration from the paper you mentioned there are similarities and both are Tyrannosaurids.  Similarities the continue if we look at other Tyrannosaurids

in the last illustration I attached.  So without a study to confirm it, I would think it would not be a large leap to conclude that Tarbosaurus most likely had binocular vision. 

Screenshot_20221030-024952_Drive.jpg.fcf7c50b0189c879cc139b6241d25b3d.jpg

Screenshot_20221030-025033_Drive.thumb.jpg.b375abeb963b194106b7d3e41c76aded.jpg

If you need additional proof let me suggest you contact you nearest museum, provide them funding and let them conduct a research project

Aha, thank you so much for your help and paper sharing, this paper is enough to get what I want. This suggestion is nice for research of Tarbosaurus, but not for me. Hhhh

Thank buddy.

Have a lovely day.