ID egg shaped rock

lockguy2

Hi, I am new to the site. I have had this rock for 50 years.

I would love to know what it is and how it was made. I don't remember much about the details on getting it. The kid I got it from lived in Virginia.

I always thought it was a petrified egg.

Some of the people I shown it to say it was just a stone in flowing water for a long time. A tool for native Americans to make paint, or a heating stone  for native Americans to heat water.  I have had it x-rayed, with no results. I would really appreciate anyone who can tell me about it or where I can get it tested without destroying it. The surface is porous looking not smooth.

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

It looks like a very nicely rounded (water worn) pebble to me. When you say the X-ray had “no results”, do you mean it just showed a homogeneous picture?  If so, I would think that would further suggest a rock. 

• I Agree 4

I would agree that this is just a rock which happens to have an egg-like shape. If you want to know more about what it really is and how it was made, you would need to show it in person to a trained geologist, maybe at your nearest natural history museum.

• I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

9 hours ago, lockguy2 said:

got it from lived in Virginia.

If it was from the flatter areas where farming is common it is likely to be a farm implement. Stone 'eggs' were used in hen's nests. I forget the reasoning for it, but I think the stones were store bought. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

If it was from the flatter areas where farming is common it is likely to be a farm implement. Stone 'eggs' were used in hen's nests. I forget the reasoning for it, but I think the stones were store bought. 

I believe they put the stone eggs where they want their hens to lay.  Hens prefer to lay in a nest that already has eggs.  At least, that is my understanding.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

1 hour ago, Fin Lover said:

I believe they put the stone eggs where they want their hens to lay.  Hens prefer to lay in a nest that already has eggs.  At least, that is my understanding.

Yes. I guess we do need to remember that the chickens were farm workers by day, patrolling the grounds for bugs and weeds. :Smiling:

• Fossildude19 locked this topic

OP has, decided to vociferously "disagree" with our assessment.

Topic is now locked.

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me