Maryland, Potomac River

Searcher78

Very nice variety.  You have a good number of the possible micro species from the Aquia Formation.  If you want to get some pristine micro teeth from the river sand, try seiving sand for  a concentrate to take home to search, in the slough pile areas in the Spring, right after the cliffs have sloughed.  Lots of pristine micro teeth from the cliffs wind up on the beach from the sloughing process and the wave action and moving sand hasn't had time to wear the teeth yet.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 4

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Very cool. How much material did you have to sift to find this number of specimens?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Very cool. How much material did you have to sift to find this number of specimens?

One of these containers 3/4 full. I carry in backpack. I believe about 15 sifts dumped in. I take it home and search.

BBDA183B-A342-4315-B6D3-03ACAA6D34EC.jpeg

Edited by Searcher78
Add to
  • I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, Searcher78 said:

One of these containers 3/4 full. I carry in backpack. I believe about 15 sifts dumped in. I take it home and search.

That's a very good yield compared to the amount of material searched!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!