Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian Outings

Kane

Over the last month or so, I've managed to get out to a few places. Although I can't say I've made stellar finds, I made out okay.

In order of geologic sequence, I'll start off with the Ordovician. I have a spot in the Cobourg/Lindsay Fm that is typically very high energy, and so complete trilobite specimens are scarce. A few Isotelus parts, a Pseudogygites latimarginatus pygidium, a Ceraurinus marginatus glabella, and what may turn out to be a complete Flexicalymene senaria prone (to be determined after prep).

2BE8DEDD-15F0-4F51-9110-6ADC44DE1D6C.jpeg

EF77C9B1-1C19-4483-8CA4-6357D5B871AA.jpeg

1EA2F9F8-6E56-4CCD-A603-1E102F3BCDAC.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Sadly, I never could find that complete Thaleops I was hoping for, settling for a pair of cephalons. Some obligatory gastropods that I tend to pick up along the way, to be placed in a box with more of their spirally kind. 

B51F1ADF-6A89-4C6D-BFFA-3209436B3AF6.jpeg

C5532E62-56C4-4C95-B8FA-55DFBFDDFE20.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

The best finds during my four hours at the site were this mostly complete and enrolled Pseudogygites latimarginatus with some unfortunate exfoliation (it was found free in the talus) and a pretty good semi-enrolled Flexicalymene senaria that should clean up nicely.

5DBE3785-C87D-446A-91F0-24B843AEF993.jpeg

1B61B139-4586-4B8D-B635-E3A75AB48BFA.jpeg

5D83C0E9-3512-4541-9CB7-093243E52330.jpeg

6FE7014D-53F2-4252-BC9F-A596FCB8B402.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

Onward to the Silurian and the farther north where the leaves have already fallen. I spent 20 hours splitting for not much to show for it. That is typically the way in the fickle Silurian of Ontario, though. 

A plate of Rielaspis elegantula pygidia that I am going to clean up for fun. There is always a chance a complete one may be lurking, so it is a good idea to take it home instead of leave it in the field and never know. The other image is of a plate of the macroalgae, Thalassocystis striata, which preserves as carbonaceous films with a bit of thickness, and that can run fairly deep throughout the strata. 

56E76C35-8066-4AF8-A089-20B234204133.jpeg

0120545A-D654-4A6A-AC56-4DD84EBC3A8C.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

The first photo is a cephalic fragment of the bumpy encrinurid, Distyrax sp. I always hope for completion, but I am doubtful. Still, prep will reveal all. 

As Ekwanoscutellum ekwanensis is among the rarest trilobites in this material, I tend to pick them up when I see them. The second piece is a bit unclear, but I have the counterpart, and so this shows sediment covering a good section of the ventral shell.

D9520E6F-0544-4305-BFF9-F7C3E75D0874.jpeg

EA8184A8-F47B-4E5C-B55C-6351D7E2719A.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

The best finds were somewhat underwhelming in their way, but not terrible. 

About half of the other of the rarest trilobites from this material, a Stelckaspis perplexa. I've included a line drawing from Ludvigsen. The other piece is a complete prone Rielaspis elegantula that I will need to glue the counterpart on and prep, so it looks just awful in its current state. 

09C6B388-4435-4EB8-AC8B-77E6ACE1C3CC.jpeg264CCB9D-EEAE-42BA-9EAE-0F67B0AC1D6F.png492AE3FF-A6AE-4140-B6A6-EB611931D6CD.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

The upshot is that, although I do not have complete specimens of all the Thornloe trilobites, I do have at least fragmentary examples of them all after four visits.

On to the Devonian, and a somewhat stingy facies of the Bois Blanc Fm. Not much there to be had, but what will turn out to be a complete (but exfoliated) phacopid, a placoderm part, and some obligatory big brachiopods. A completely chertified cephalon of Anchiopsis anchiops photobombed the shot.

4F922B04-9C42-4AAB-B154-EFFE29DBF583.jpeg

37C10A6C-6AFD-4202-A701-07249571FE67.jpeg

25C9D0B8-308B-457C-B000-8BCD58B907E2.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

Just to close it all off, the other good find -- this one from the erratics not far from my house. I've already shown this in my dedicated prep thread, but here it comes again: a complete and plump Eldredgeops rana roller in very unfriendly material. As for some of the other items above, those will be keeping my tools busy once the snows hit.

BB20A670-38A3-4BEF-B5BB-40CEEFB06595.jpeg

E017AC1D-5365-4DE7-802E-3C9317825849.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

When I read, "I can't say I've made stellar finds", I knew that meant there were a few good trilobites about to follow!

Awesome selection of trilobites Kane! The prep on that last roller is fantastic!

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Excellent prep on that Eldredgeops. Your other finds are very interesting and I am anxious to see those prepped too. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

The Eldredgeops is sweet, but so far I like the 3D enrolled Pseudogyites best.  The "unfortunate exfoliation" just gives it character IMHO.

Don

• I Agree 1

Thanks, all. :) Always nice to come back home with something rather than nothing. :D 

The Pseudogygites roller was a bit of a bucket list item for me, as I long wanted to find a complete 3D one as opposed to the flattened ones I would find as a kid in the shales of Ottawa (my very first trilobites). 

• I found this Informative 1