Searching for Thylacoleo Skull Replica

Ces

Hi Guys,

New to the forum. Looking forward to having a look around.

I have made one scale skull replica of a Pachycephalosaurus which I may share in the future. However, I am currently on the hunt for a 1:1 scale Thylacoleo Carnifex skull replica.

Anyone here that point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Ces.

Thanks ftlcgi.

That's a great source and will run with that one if I have to. I would really love the full skull however. 

I think I read somewhere that someone was casting them privately a few years back. Anyone got information on these or other options?

Hi Ces,

https://www.phenome10k.org/scans/?q=thylaco

Here is a good scan, you only have to remove the santa-hat.

I sculpted a mandible some years ago, good enough for my 1/20 scale model.

Tell me if you want it.

Best Regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
spelling

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks Mahnmut,

I think I've seen that scan (minus the Santa hat) in a NatGeo documentary where they estimated the bite force of the animal using biomechanics. I remember the expert saying that the skull that had been scanned was from a juvenile, but even from data generated from an animal still developing were able to extrapolate that Thylacoleo had the greatest pound for pound bite of any mammal ever (though dont quote me on this). Or mammalian carnivore ever?

If you're interested you might want to look it up because all that is from memory and definitely should not be taken as fact at face value.

I would still love to find a full lower jaw scan, or even a current resin cast producer. Really appreciating the straight away support here, guys.

Cheers,

Ces. 

Hi again Ces,

I have been looking for some time to get a replica, even at one point having mail contact with a guy down under who planned on casting them for somewhat less than the hypothetical prices mentioned below , but without luck after all. thats 5 years ago now.

The link below is not a hot lead, but a good representation of what I experienced then.

Being in Australia yourself, maybe you have more luck contacting the museum people directly.

https://thylacoleo.proboards.com/thread/2881/thylacoleo-replica-skulls-sale

I do not know what your expectations regarding acuracy are, but you can have my mandible model for free, its about 4 mb. 

Dont know why phenome10k has no mandibles.

Morphosource is another good site,

many downloadable scans (not Thylacoleo though), but there is an option to ask for permission to use the restricted scans,

sometimes they simply say no, sometimes researchers are delighted someone wants to use their data.

https://www.morphosource.org/catalog/media?utf8=✓&search_field=all_fields&q=thylacoleo

Best Regards,

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks Mahnmut,

More good leads. I've also tried following that lead from the guy casting in Australia but no luck yet. Also, thanks for the mandible sculpt, I would love that. I'm not a sculptor or a printer, so I'm not sire If I will be able to get these together and completed for printing but the search goes on.

I will update my progress here.

Cheers,

Ces. 

Edited by Ces
left out info

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again Ces,

I just dug out my mandble sculpt. I made it back when I could not find any scan online.

There is one available for free on sketchfab, fitting the cranium that ftlcgi posted above, so, as proud as I am of my sculpt, that one is closer to the real thing.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/marsupial-lion-mandible-vcu-3d-4335-69d0162c80e34bd2ae9d6479c2e2f6cb

Best Regards and keep us informed when you make progress!,

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks, Mahnmut. 

Been trying to contact Museums but with little luck. Some have offered other leads but none of these have gone anywhere.

For now I may have to do as you suggest and marry the cranium and mandibles posted in this thread.

Really appreciate your help with this mate.

They had beefy heads. @Jesuslover340 and I found a skull a few years back. Big male, very square shape as far as length/width goes. It’s since been donated.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

• 7 months later...

Hey guys,

I thought I had posted this already but I found a seller that has a decent full replica. In fact, now I think about it. Maybe I did post it and breached forum rules about selling or something?

If so, apologies mods.

If you're interested in the lead maybe DM me.

Hope this helps everyone.