Carl

Hi All,

I have a bunch of brachiopods that got separated from their data and was hoping someone here might be able to restore some of it. They are apparently Paleozoic and likely from the US midwest. I see probable productids and maybe rhynconellids in there, but my knowledge of brachiopods is pretty limited. I strongly suspect they are all from one locality. Any help with locality, age, or taxa would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Carl

Brachiopods.jpg

Edited by Carl

5 hours ago, connorp said:

These look Pennsylvanian. The top right box and the middle of the small bottom boxes look like Composita.

Thanks so much! Very helpful!

The left box looks to contain productiids. Probably multiple taxa given how similar they look. Bottom right box are chonetids.

If they are from the Midwest, I would guess Kansas, but could be a number of states.

Edited by connorp

13 hours ago, connorp said:

The left box looks to contain productiids. Probably multiple taxa given how similar they look. Bottom right box are chonetids.

If they are from the Midwest, I would guess Kansas, but could be a number of states.

Thanks! Right now I'm leaning towards Pennsylvanian Kansas, with caution.

These appear similar to Meekella:

Brachiopods.jpg.23e482b06a7b997be7b60c67516769b0.jpg.8d5100cd0b9386734a1c5e2ddea219c2.jpg

Around Kansas City, at least, Meekella tends to be less common than the others in number and distribution. This may possibly help slightly with narrowing down their provenance.

Most likely, they did come from somewhere in the Midcontinent Pennsylvanian:

Geol-Map-Pennsylvanian.png.8dbedc570badf278f18a849127020d57.png

Kansas is a fair bet, as it likely has the most outcrops available, though there does tend to be heavier collecting in Texas.

The lack of Mesolobus in the collection possibly rules out Desmoinesian.

• Thank You 1

Context is critical.