Chunkosaurus from Lance

Dino Dad 81

Hi all,

My son and I recently got the incredible opportunity to live the dream and break into rocks from the Lance formation in Wyoming ourselves in the comfort of our own living room--thanks to a special member on TFF :b_love1:!

We came across this Chunkosaurus piece last night. If there's enough material here to ID (even just the family it comes from), we'd be thrilled to hear your thoughts. In my novice eyes, it looks like it may be a chunk from the perimeter of a Triceratops frill. One typically expects to see the curvature at the perimeter of the frill having the opposite orientation (i.e., convex vs concave?), but I included a picture of a frill right below and circled some examples that support the possibility of this ID.

Thanks!

Frill.thumb.png.a8d2dc89b0a0a8df30cc1e93a0d5be11.png

1.thumb.jpg.91b37319a1ce513895e0b58633ec0fc6.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.6f35ab58cdce5c3537f99e3884847c55.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.29a5d8edabbc872ce5b4e66ae90beb88.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.387962708f8db8cd1e8378ae0fb8ad71.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.e397f093cf0b6012e4d28406d6924152.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.8be4a42ae5864ea2785f1233dad09569.jpg

After after my lead in above, maybe I should mention that we've found a lot of cool stuff, so no worries if my bubble needs to be burst on this specimen! I can imagine that it might be a piece of rib or maybe just a piece of Sunshine altogether...literally

56 minutes ago, svcgoat said:

I'll say I'm jealous I'd love to get a mystery box. Good luck!

Thanks, @svcgoat. My son is 5 and is mostly excited by the tools so far, except for when he's getting to hammer away continually. I had to stop him a few times from further whacking the very specimen I posted above after all the matrix was off. But I'm just loving the activity together. I got us both kits with hammer, chisels, picks, loupe, goggles, glooves, whistle, etc. It's adorable to see him find something that sticks to his tongue, and make wide-eyed eye contact with me as he raises his whistle to announce he's found something (blasting my ear drums from just a few feet away).

• Enjoyed 1

Great father son activity and I enjoying buying those kits for my grandchildren.   The chunkasaurus looks like one no visible texture or veining that definitively can point to a Ceratopsian frill or any family.  

• I Agree 2

4 hours ago, jpc said:

Whistles?

i agree with troodon; I don’t see any diagnostic features to this nice chinkossur

INCLY 15 PCS Geology Rock Pick Hammer Kit, 32oz Hammer & 3 PCS Digging Chisels Set for Rock Hounding, Gold Mining & Prospecting Tool Gear, Shovel, Musette, Bag, Compass, Whistle, Wooden Chisel.

Maybe I should have found a 14-pcs version...